Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Hips sore from walking?

Discussion in 'General Health' started by waiting42, Sep 23, 2013.

1. waiting42

waiting42 Forums Novice

Aug 2, 2012
    Texas
    So, the past few days/week my Scotch-boy has been getting up from his naps like an old man. He's only 14 months old and I don't know if I should be worried about this or not.

We walked a lot before it got really hot here in Texas (probably around May) and picked it back up last week. Could this be the issue? Did I walk him too much too fast? We're only going about 1/2 mile every other day (plus he does a lot of playing and running in our yard too).

Any suggestions or input is appreciated. I don't want to be the "over-reactive dog mom"...I tend to call the vet for every little thing so trying to take a step back with this one and think it through.

Thoughts? 2 Cents?

Thank you so much!!!

2. mellie

mellie Forums Enthusiast

May 18, 2011
    East Coast
    Well, we live in "tick central" so my initial reaction would be to have a heartworm/combo test done. It will of course check for heartworm, then also Lyme disease, ehrlichia, and anaplasmosis which are tick borne diseases. Slow rising was the only symptom my dog Sally displayed when she came down with Lyme disease. Could be stiffness from running in the yard. Maybe see what your vet says.

3. waiting42

waiting42 Forums Novice

Aug 2, 2012
    Texas
    Thanks. I just pulled all his records to see if we did the lyme immunizations (I swore we did) but none of my records show we did.

If by some chance we did get him immunized, can he still get lyme? I think a quick call to the vet in the morning should solve the question of if he was immunized.

We live in a pretty suburban area, but on a golf course right by a water hole, so I guess that it's possible...