Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

In Defence of Dogs

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Junebug, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Junebug

Junebug Forums Regular

Nov 21, 2013
    USA
    I just borrowed from the library (through interlibrary loan, because it's not commonly available) In Defence of Dogs http://www.amazon.com/Defence-Dogs-...1393252156&sr=1-1&keywords=in+defence+of+dogs .

While I'm not all the way done with it, it has been an interesting read. The author completely erases the idea that dogs are always seeking dominance in their relationships, instead seeking familial bonds. They defer to us as puppies in all canids respond to parental figures. The author spends time looking at the wolves our dogs are supposedly so much like, and points out that wolf relationships aren't fraught with dominance struggles within the pack either.

Anyway, the implications for dog training are far reaching. I've seen others recommend this book, and I'm going to agree.

2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I agree -- this was the most intelligent book on dogs that I've read. :yes: I'm very big on empirically-based assertions.

3. Katagaria

Katagaria Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2012
    Ireland
    I've been reading this as part of my diploma. Great book, though admittedly I found the first two or so chapters a bit of a struggle lol.

4. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I have his book too. He did a few interesting interviews as well when the book came out. Both my vet and the ortho vet recommend this book too, he's very highly regarded here.