Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How do you search for dogs in need of rescue?

Discussion in 'Rescue Chat' started by mmcginty, Apr 16, 2012.

1. mmcginty

mmcginty Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2011
    Just wondering what sorts of sites and strategies you guys use to find the dogs you help?

In doing research for the gypsyrescuetransport.com project I just registered to recieve notification when Shelties are received (that are adoptable) at the following facilities (driven by PetHarbor):

Napa County Animal Shelter, Alameda Animal Shelter (FAAS), Amador County Animal Control, Antioch Animal Services, Berkeley Animal Care Services, Burbank Animal Shelter, Benicia Vallejo Humane Society, Contra Costa County Animal Services - Martinez, Contra Costa County Animal Services - Pinole, Calaveras County Animal Services, El Dorado County Animal Services - Placerville, El Dorado County Animal Services - South Lake Tahoe, Fremont Animal Services, Hollister Animal Control, Hayward Animal Services Bureau, Kern County Animal Control - Bakersfield Shelter, Kern River Valley Shelter, King County Animal Control, Los Angeles County Animal Control - Carson, Los Angeles County Animal Control - Lancaster, Los Angeles County Animal Control - Castaic, Los Angeles County Animal Control - Agoura, East Valley Animal Care and Control Center, West Los Angeles Animal Care and Control Center, South Los Angeles Animal Care and Control Center, West Valley Animal Care and Control Center, Northeast Valley Animal Care and Control Center, City of Lathrop Animal Control, Livingston Animal Control, Mendocino Animal Control - Ukiah, Monterey County Animal Services, Merced County Animal Control, Palo Alto Animal Services, Placer County Animal Control - Auburn, Placer County Animal Control - Tahoe Vista, City of Oakdale Animal Shelter, Sacramento County Animal Care and Regulation, Santa Clara County Animal Care & Control, City of Sacramento Animal Care Services, Salinas Animal Shelter, San Luis Obispo County Animal Services, Santa Barbara County Animal Services - Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara County Animal Services - Lompoc, Santa Barbara County Animal Services - Santa Maria, Santa Cruz County Animal Shelter - Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz County Animal Shelter - Watsonville, San Francisco Animal Care & Control, San Jose Animal Care & Services, Santa Monica Animal Shelter, Solano County Animal Care Services, Sonoma County Animal Care and Control, Stockton Animal Shelter, Stanislaus County Animal Services Agency, Sutter County Animal Control, Silicon Valley Animal Control Authority, City of Tracy Animal Services, Tuolumne County Animal Control, Humane Society of Ventura County, Ventura County Animal Services, Washoe County Regional Animal Services, Yolo County Animal Services, Yuba County Animal Care Services.

It expires in 30 days, but still seems like it will cover a lot of kennels for a small amount of effort.

2. SunChaser

SunChaser Forums Enthusiast

May 16, 2008
    Central Florida
    Here in Florida we check two specific sites for dogs needing rescue One being Pet Harbor, which lists all dogs found as strays and taken to county shelters in Florida. I do believe that all the county shelters participate with Pet Harbor. The other place we check is Craig's list there are a lot of people that ask a nominal rehoming fee for dogs or they are listed free to a good home (very dangerous) On occasion the SPCA or Humane Society will contact us if they have a sheltie that seems to have some serious issues and needs some expert handling. We take in all we can from all venues regardless of age or condition.

3. lasheltie

lasheltie Forums Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2012
    Petharbor will send you an email asking if you want to renew. At least they did for me when I listed on our area. I check craigslist, the local papers & Petharbor. Petfinder.com also has some listings from shelters that aren't no kill. Our 2 closest animal shelters (not no kill) also have websites & I check there. Most people know I am a sheltie lover so the humane society near me will call if one comes in. I have rescued 13 shelties since 2006 using these contacts.

4. dawns2shelties

dawns2shelties Forums Sage

You can also go to save a dog's page on FB.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012