Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Vaccinations and safety

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Judyg, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    It's been quite a while since I had a puppy and I don't remember what vaccinations they get and when, so any advice on that would be really appreciated.

I know the breeder usually gives them a few, but what do I need to make sure my new baby will get to be safe. Can you (or should you) take them out at all before they have all their shots? Parvo runs out here in the inland valleys and I don't want to risk anything happening to my precious puppy.

2. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Check out my similar thread Shot Schedule.

My boy got his first at 6 weeks so to make the best of it I took the # of days between the shots & 16 weeks and divided by 3 which equal 24. I just scheduled them on those days with rabies a week or two following since my dog won't be encountering rabies for a week or two more than likely! (Yes, he has to have a 4-shot round due to them starting so early).

Multi-shot at 8, 12, 16 weeks seems to be the best and then rabies can go about 2 weeks later. Bordatella can be added too. We don't have some of the other stuff they do on the east coast here in Cali. Snake bite for me is gonna be next season.

My boy will be going places with me BUT he will NEVER touch the ground. He will have walk-throughs of pet friendly stores (hobby lobby, home depot, lowe's, a pet friendly mall, sitting a bit outside of starbucks if it is not too stinkin hot, probably the car dealership in his carrier). Those who wish to pet will be given a handwipe and explained he does not have all his shots. Very controlled and very nonthreatening. No swarms of kids or anything. I also will have guests to my house (removing shoes, washing hands). He will have a piddle pad in the back of my SUV available and urged to do business there during outting since we live an hour from town.