Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Update on Asta

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Sharon7, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Well, in the course of having acupuncture for Asta's head tilt, a residual of her vertigo attack, the vet who does that treatment discovered Asta actually has a problem in her neck. She doesn't think it's a disc problem, but feels like a bunched up muscle, perhaps also a pinched nerve. So her funny gait is actually more likely from that rather than the vertigo! She had two acupuncture treatments and now is having cold laser therapy focused on her neck. Today both the vet and I said her head is definitely straighter!

So working backwards, since all symptoms are from her Feb. vertigo attack, we figured out she may have tweaked her neck in the throes of having the sudden severe vertigo attack. My husband had left her two hours before he came home to find her on the kitchen floor unable to get up. We think she may have thrashed around and done something to her neck at that time, since she's never had any issues like that before.

Good grief, if only the darn dog could talk!!! Would take the detective work out of the equation! :lol: We are hoping that this will help her movement get back closer to normal. I realize she is 12 1/2 but since everything happened so suddenly, I don't think it's just her age.

So what I thought was a balance problem is likely something else entirely. SIGH.

2. dmeyer123

dmeyer123 Forums Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2011
    Eastvale, CA
    I hope she gets better soon and that they can figure out what is wrong. How do they know it was vertigo and not a seizure?

3. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    I will keep good thoughts for a fast, speedy and total recovery for your sweet Asta. :fl

4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    The give-away is the eyes. It's called nystagmus, where the eyes are rapidly and uncontrollably flicking back and forth. It is very very weird looking. Symptoms usually resolve in about 4 days which is what happened.... although with her head still tilted to the right we thought she still had some trouble with the vertigo (inner ear).

Thanks for the good wishes!

5. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Sharon, good that you finally may have identified the root of the problem...hopefully Asta can get back to normal with the treatments. It sure would save us a lot of worry and trips to the vet's if our little ones could tell us what was going on with them!!

Trini