Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Are Rawhide Chewies Safe?

Discussion in 'Treats & Supplements' started by shelties&shoes, Dec 24, 2013.

1. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I'm with you. Lexi is a chewer, but the last time I gave her a rawhide (about 2 years ago) I turned around for a second, and it was gone. Not too long later she threw up the WHOLE thing completely intact, but it was a soaking wet piece of gummy disgusting-ness. I have no idea how she would have ever digested it. It looked like a wet cast or something. And she is not one to swallow things whole. I immediately threw the rest away and will not feed them again. Not worth it.

Luckily my dogs love other things--Himalayan Yak Chews are my favorite for them. I like the idea of Flossies, but they are so stinky!

2. shelties&shoes

shelties&shoes Forums Regular

Dec 19, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    So trial and error, keep close watch on my babies, and find the best one out there. I don't want anything to hurt my guys, they are too precious.

I have an awesome video of Kirby going nuts with his rawhide bone, but I am trying to figure out how to share it with my new Sheltie Friends.

Kelly

3. Jubjub81

Jubjub81 Forums Regular

Jun 7, 2013
    Alberta
    Rawhides are banned in my house. I give bully sticks and raw bones instead. I've heard that rawhide can expand in their stomach and cause problems (especially if your dog is a persistent chewer like my schnauzer) If you go to your local butcher you can get good bones really cheap.

4. Toffee's Mom

Toffee's Mom Forums Sage

Aug 31, 2009
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    raw bones not only give your pet a great oral workout, but also a healthy dose of nutrients. You’ll find your dog to be very content, relaxed and even a bit sleepy after his chewing workout.
    Don't feed cooked or smoked bones
    Don't feed weight bearing bones
    Don't feed bones that are too small
    Do supervise your dog the first time you're giving a raw bone

It's a good thing!! Much better than ickkky raw hide, dogs also love it!
    I put mine on a washable blanket or towel or in their crate

5. Sumac3890

Sumac3890 Forums Sage

Sep 12, 2008
    Fort Myers, Fl
    I give Zak raw bones or a huge bully stick. He loves them both, have not tried the yak ones yet. I have a friend that had one of her shelties become very ill and after days at the vets did pass a huge chunck of a greenie. I had stopped giving those to my dogs after Maggie would vomit a piece of it days after she had one. My thoughts on the nylabone are " have you looked at what they are made of" yuck. I would rather stay natural. I do give him a dehydrtated duck foot everynow and then and he likes tracea's too. NEVER anything from CHINA.

6. Tilleysmom

Tilleysmom Forums Novice

Jun 17, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    I will not give my dogs any rawhide because I don't trust the way they are made, and the quality of them that they aren't processed with harmful chemicals and preservatives. I've had to pull soggy rawhides out of my dogs throat a couple of times, so that's it for me. The whole routine stresses me out, never mind the dangers it presents to my dog.

I feel much safer giving my dogs a larger sized raw meaty bone that has a fair amount of meat attached to keep them interested long enough.

Donna

7. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    It depends. I get them all the time for Ruu because he loves them and loves to chew. I only get him Made in USA raw hides though which are harder to find. In fact, every time I go to PA I restock because there is only one store I can find them in... I think he has 10 on back stock right now.

BUT you do need to watch your dog when they have them. If they get too small I take the chewie away and throw it out. Ruutu has been using chewies since he was a little pup and one time he had a piece stuck in his mouth (just his mouth, not throat) and I had to open his mouth and get it out for him. So yes, you need to be careful and observe the dog the whole time, but it's not bad for them in any other way. It's very healthy and helps with their jaw and teeth.

8. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    I use Greenies. But they're meant to freshen their breath and clean their teeth. Now, Honey's teeth and breath are NASTY seeing how she never had her teeth brushed in almost 10 years. We're working on that though with the wet wipes. It DOES help with her breath, I haven't really noticed a change in her teeth, but they are pretty bad so, I don't think I would notice. She loves them. I don't feed as directed though which could also be why they don't work for her teeth. I only give her one every week or every other.

Now, I also give Ruu Greenies and Ziggies (Kong brand of the same thing) but Ruutu is an avid chewer. He can chew through a whole chewie in one sitting, if I let him. A chewie, no matter how big or tough it is will last him a week or less. I try not to give him the Greenies or Ziggies unless I put it inside his Kong ball or his other food toys I have. If he gets it without being inside something, he barely chews it.