Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Raw For Puppy? & Weaning Puppies To Raw

Discussion in 'BARF, Raw & Natural Diets' started by HopeShelties, Apr 12, 2012.

1. marymrumfelt

marymrumfelt Forums Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    You might also look into Hare Today. I just did the math and got four months and three weeks worth of food for three dogs, with shipping, for $56.00 a month. We go through about 37lbs a month to give you an idea. We're ordering furry rabbits and whole chickens, though, to make it more affordable... Yikes!!! :eek2:

2. marymrumfelt

Aug 16, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    Crap! I was just about to order a bag for the cat!! I wonder if I could get a sample?

3. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    almost every store seems to have samples of Fromm. It is really great food and I am bummed, but I only use kibble for treats and what kind of value treat is if they barely go for it...:(

4. marymrumfelt

Aug 16, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    Yeah, I live in a rural area and don't have a store that sells it nearby....

I've tried for almost a year to switch my cat to RAW and haven't had any luck.... sigh...

5. HopeShelties

HopeShelties Forums Enthusiast

Dec 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    Well, this already looks to be going good. No more diarrhea and vomiting today. Poop already is firm and normal looking. I honestly didn't expect to have them transition so easily. I figured I'd at least be dealing with a few days of runs while they adjusted.

6. lamarilli

lamarilli Forums Regular

Apr 21, 2011
    Melbourne
    switching to barf

I have a litter & have decided to wean them onto barf. Very excited. Have been searching for info. This post has been a great help.

7. Percy

Percy Forums Regular

Jul 29, 2012
    USA
    I haven't read the replies yet

I have an 11 week old sheltie that I have been feeding raw for a little over a week. There was no transition period; I just switched him. He did fine with that. There was a little learning curve with the bones. At first, he wasn't really sure how to eat them, but after a few day, he was chomping down and breaking them like an expert. The breast seems to have nice starter bones.

I started him on chicken and have introduced pork. For the chicken, I just bought a whole chicken. I gave him the organs and neck as one meal. I used kitchen shears to cut up the rest into meal sized pieces. I'm trying to do a Tom Lonsdale type prey model diet, and the whole chicken was $0.99/pound. The pork was a loin that was on sale; it was the cheapest cut of non-chicken meat that I could find. I just needed some meaty-meat. Right now, he's getting all of his bones from the chicken.

Anyway, I feed him about 9 or 10 ounces of meat spread over 3 meals. I just eyeball it; I'm sure that some days he gets more.

He loves it. I know that you're worried about those baby teeth, but this seems to be the best thing for them. He can get his chewing out of the way with dinner and leave my shoes alone! Seriously though, I really do think it's helped with the teething. :)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012