Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Summer Allergy

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Fasb's Owner, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Fasb's Owner

Fasb's Owner Forums Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    Fasb often gets a summer allergy - particularly in dry years. Basically, he chews his hind paws. Doesn't chew the hair off, but he does chew enough the stain the white fur (saliva discolors the fur, turns it a reddish/pinkish color).

Our old vet never really wanted to do anything for it. He thought it was an allergic reaction to something in the grass (Fasb picked it up on his paws while walking through the grass). He said he could give Fasb a (steroidal) shot, but there could be side effects and he didn't think Fasb was bothered enough to be worth the risk.

I'd like to spare Fasb the irritation, if possible. He hasn't started chewing yet, but i'd like to be prepared. He didn't have the problem last year, so we've never discussed it with our current vet.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? What can I do to minimize it (aside from a shot, I guess).

Thanks.

2. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Try this: you can wash the feet with it.

It was a mix of 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup steeped green tea, and 1 cup distilled water. Use it as a rinse after bath (leave in coat, do not rinse out) to prevent itchy skin, and you can spritz it on them as bug repellent.

3. Sheltie4

Sheltie4 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2013
    Kansas City
    I don't know if Benedryl would help a dog with allergies resulting in itchy feet?

Tres and Jonesie get allergies that result in weeping eyes during the summer. One Benedryl a day seems to keep it at bay (I use only 1/2 tablet for Jonesie, who weighs 16 lbs, but Tres at 27 lbs. gets a full pill each day.)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  4. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    Just a suggestion, would doggie booties be out of the question?

5. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    My Collie has started drooling while outside. Like Saint Bernard drool, drag on the ground, disgusting, bubbly drool. I put her on Zyrtec once a day, and that has reduced it by about 90%. She's allergic to something, we just don't know what.

6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Human antihistamines generally work fine for contact allergies in dogs. Grass allergies are really, really common where I live. Tully gets them and licks her feet and it stains. I give her Phenergan (1/4 of a 10mg tablet), need a pill cutter but the pieces are so tiny I can slip it in anything and she doesn't notice. Half the recommended dose seems to do her fine for contact allergy so perhaps start with half first and build up. I give it to her if we are going on grass or if I see her licking (or hear her snorting).

Here's a chart for dosage of human antihistamines for dogs. It's in metric, if you don't use metric you can at least get an idea of the drugs you can use and see if you can find the imperial dosage.

http://www.ingleburnvet.com.au/antihistamines.htm

7. Sumac3890

Sumac3890 Forums Sage

Sep 12, 2008
    Fort Myers, Fl
    Zak has been chewing on his feet and scratching, never had problems before but we have had ton's of pollen this year. I asked my vet about it last week when we had Zoey at the vet and she said 25mg's of Benedryl twice a day. I also wipe him down with ACV and water.

8. Fasb's Owner

Fasb's Owner Forums Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    How often do you bath your sheltie? Just wondering how often this stuff needs reapplied.

Our old vet did suggest washing his feet, but never suggested anything except water, which didn't seem to do much. Both Fasb's vets have suggested Benadryl to combat itching. We've never tried it enough to know if it's effective or not. Fasb's allergies have never really gotten out of hand and we're kinda concerned about drugging him every day. Even a tiny dose of Benadryl seemed to really knock him out. We're going to give Benadryl another go if need be this year.

9. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    You can wash them whenever you bring them it - it won't hurt. I don't have a problem with mine, but others I know (including someone in Australia) has tried this and it works. It is no different than washing their feet/bellies off if they come in muddy.