Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Puppy bonding tips!?

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Sheltie.Mama, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Sheltie.Mama

Sheltie.Mama Forums Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2013
    Montana
    I recently got a Sheltie puppy, who is now nine weeks old. She is a very sweet girl, with quite a personality! She plays with my other dogs a lot, and seems like she really clicked with Tarra. They are constantly playing, and will have nothing to do with me (or anyone for that matter) whenever she is around.. How can I make sure I am her "Mommy"? Thank you!:smile2:

2. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    That's great to hear that Tarra & Shay have bonded!

Do things with the puppy without the others around. Go into a room or a bathroom and start playing or petting or doing simple training like sit and come. Lots of praise! Do things with both during a quiet time like sit with both and pet one with each hand so that the pup realizes the human is above both dogs in the ranking.

My Shay was 1000% bonded to the old Aussie who raised him, yet he couldn't be tighter bonded to my husband and me.

Remember, she's very very very little and right now she has a substitute for momma and siblings with the other dog. In time, as her brain develops she will understand more about the family and everyone in it.

3. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Yep--just make sure you spend one on one time together. Make sure when it's just the two of you that you are the most fun thing in the world!

Also, give it time. My girl seemed so busy at that age I wasn't sure if she even noticed me. Now she can't stand to not be touching me at all times :)

4. Junebug

Junebug Forums Regular

Nov 21, 2013
    USA
    The book Buildingblocks for performance would tell you to keep your puppy away from the other dogs for awhile, alowing only short, supervised play with another dog after you had play time together. It makes a point to say the human should be the fun one most of the time.

Not everyone would want to raise a puppy this way-- some want the dogs to be bonded to each other, so it just depends what you are looking for.

5. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    Agreed. A puppy will look to others for direction and affection, if you give it love and food it will come around and recognize you as a good thing in its life and respond in kind....

6. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I think some of the best bonding moments are when you do a little one-on-one training. When she's this young, you can just do little recalls or try to get her to sit. Keep it short and sweet, so her attention stays only on you. Take her on little potty breaks or walks with just you. Also, I think shelties really bond with those who bring them food :lol:.