Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

So It Begins...

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by MissieLynn, Nov 20, 2013.

1. MissieLynn

MissieLynn Forums Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Well, Emmy is now 6 1/2 months old and I'm thinking she is starting to hit adolescence. She's still just as sweet as ever, but I'm seeing hoodlum antics I haven't seen before, such as not wanting to come inside (which she used to do so well), barking LOUDLY at me when she wants me to play with her (instead of sitting politely like she used to) and barking at cars on walks and during car rides :gaah.

Does anyone have any advice or helpful suggestions on dealing with teenage Sheltie shenanigans? Also, I've ready that it lasts anywhere from six months to two years. How long do Shelties usually experience it?

2. susanmccain

susanmccain Forums Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2013
    London, Ohio
    The three Shelties that I have owned all did that. Just all of a sudden...they have forgotten everything they have learned. Don't give up on her...she will be fine...just a phase. My youngest is 2 and every once in a while he still slips up and forgets that he needs on come in when called. Hang in there.

3. maddiesmom

maddiesmom Forums Enthusiast

Dec 14, 2011
    port orchard wa
    Lily is about the same age and she is experiencing the same symptoms!

4. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    Me too, my brilliant little Hanna now only sits ocassionally if there is a sufficiently nice treat on offer, will hardly hold still for combing . I have signed up for another obedience class but it does not start until Feb.

5. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Your Emmy sounds like a very typical sheltie kid at that age. An extra special treat for coming may help...I use chunks of baked chicken or a piece of fat free cheese (the kind that comes in individually wrapped slices). If these special treats are used only for coming and she never gets these treats at any other time...it usually works. Initially give a special treat every time she comes...then gradually go to more random treating. For the loud barking at you when she wants something, the thing that I have found most effective is to say nothing and simply turn my back to the doggie who is demanding attention. Shelties hate being ignored and typically will catch on really fast that "yelling" at you gets the reverse result from what they want. Emmy, is just testing her "wings" and seeing where she fits into the pack order (your family)...and gradually she will get the message that she is not the "big cheese". Barking at cars is a biggie...I have had a couple of fosters who were a terror at this and it took time and patience to work through. What I found usually works is to select a safe place near a street that has moderate traffic. Have a pocket full of good treats (you can always sub this for a meal so weight gain is not an issue) and every time you see a car approaching, get your dog's attention and give continuous treats as the car passes by you...then praise BIG TIME for no barking. Most shelties are so food oriented that given a choice between eating or barking they will choose eating! LOL Obviously you can't employ this tactic while driving but if you can get Emmy to not bark at cars when she is sitting by you near a road, she will probably transfer the no barking to seeing cars out the car window.

Hope these suggestions help. :)

Trini and my gang.

6. MissieLynn

Jun 14, 2013
    Oklahoma
    I'm glad to know I'm not alone. We outta start up a support group. :lol:

Even with her hooliganism, she still is a sweetheart. :hugs (But I will be glad when she is a little less mischievous. :wink2: )

7. MissieLynn

Jun 14, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Trina, I am so sorry I missed your post! I'm not sure why, but I didn't see it yesterday and didn't mean to ignore it at all.

Thank you for the advice! The extra special treat advice is especially good. She does love cheese, so I'll start using that. And I'll try your method to stop barking at cars. I have a feeling she'll love getting lots of treats! :lol:

8. jimbosdad

jimbosdad Forums Novice

Nov 24, 2013
    Texas
    It changes with time. My little Jimbo did this up til 3 yrs old. Just keep up with some training.