Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

When Rescue Goes Wrong

Discussion in 'Rescue Chat' started by Ann, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    So far the reasons I've heard are 1. they think Piper needs a loving, stable home. Because as a show dog, she's lived with multiple people throughout her life between both owners and I'm guessing at some point she was in the custody of a handler, which they don't think is fair to the dog. And 2, they believe that Piper was "given" to somebody else in December 2013, so Veronica isn't her owner because she gave her away. In Veronica's affidavit, she says Piper was there on a temporary basis and was going to come back to her in late April (probably after Nationals). Of course, none of this is presented on the court documents. I'm not sure if it will be brought up in court.

Now, on Facebook, Veronica did post on the Ohio Sheltie Network page that she was looking for homes for some of her dogs, one she lists fits the description of Piper. Ch bi-black female who turned five on 11/3/13. Then there are later posts about her placement, and then posts by the new owner thanking Veronica for letting her have Piper. That is who's yard she escaped from, according to Veronica's affidavit. The thing is, we don't know what kind of agreement they had, what contract they had (if any). Unless there was a transfer of ownership document, Veronica and Michelle are still the owners. The fact that she was living with somebody else doesn't mean that Veronica's claim to ownership was severed, in my opinion.

2. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    If you read through the affidavits/documents attached to the article, Piper was allowed to go to the one home with Austin, and then to help the daughter's dog who had separation anxiety. She was to be returned to Veronica at the end of April, 2014. It was not a permanent placement. Veronica and Michelle are quite adamant in that fact.

It was quite interesting reading through both sides. I have to shake my head at the thoughts that are being given to the court. Makes no sense whatsoever.

3. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I just can't believe in ALL these months no one has asked to see the dog in person or on video or to even ascertain if it is alive or where it is or anything. What if she is returned completely physically and psychologically damaged? What if she has been dead now for months? Going through all these hoops and no one has checked on the animal.

We all hope she is with some nice person living in luxury pampered, but what if she is not? If the "rescue" has a rather unclean place what about where ever she is? This bit about replacing her with "any old dog". Are they going to just agree to turn over A dog, any dog?

I am so disappointed and baffled.

4. Jess041

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Right, but on Facebook she was advertising finding new homes for dogs, one of which fits the description of Piper. And then the lady who has Austin posted this-
    "I just want to thank Veronica Covatch for setting me up with Austin and my daughter up with Piper. Austin is perfect for me. And as you can see, they get along well with husbands seeing eye dog Celtic. They slept their first night here about a foot away from Celtic. Thanks Veronica and thnx for the well wishes. Now I am a sheltie owner :)"
    So that kinda of supports the first part, that she was going to help ease the transition. But what is posted after that makes it sound as if that wasn't the original plan.

Then later the daughter posts a picture of Piper and in the comments says "Lol nope, drove all that way just to get my baby". So it does come off as if Piper was actually "placed" with her and not a temporary situation. BUT like I said, it doesn't matter because in the same post where Veronica advertises Piper, she says "..They would be placed with a contract if for any reason the new owners can not keep them they must be returned to me since this is the only home they have ever known." So even if she did place Piper with the daughter, there is a possibility that the daughter decided to give her back for some reason and Veronica was going to take her back after Nationals. Plus, I understand why she would go with Austin to help him adjust to his new home, but why would they need Piper to help with another dog's separation anxiety? One that she probably didn't know. I'm not a dog behavior expert so if there's a reason bringing in an unfamiliar dog helps with separation anxiety, please let me know.

Even though Veronica and Michelle signed those affidavits saying one thing, the Facebook posts do leave me wondering if maybe that's not the entire truth? But, like I said, even if Piper was placed with somebody else, that doesn't mean Veronica gave up ownership. I still believe that Piper belongs to Veronica and Michelle and needs to go back to them.

5. Jess041

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Like I said earlier in the thread, legally there might not be anything that allows for property in a Replevin dispute to be checked on. I think if there was something that could be done, they would have looked into it by now.

6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I hope and pray we get good news this Friday on Piper!

A date has been set for a PreTrial Hearing. Finally. An impartial hearing PreTrial Hearing in Case No. 2014 CVF 024571 is now set for Oct. 24, 2014 in front of Hon. James P. O’Grady in the Franklin County Municipal Court on Oct. 24, 2014 in Columbus, Ohio. Finally. An impartial hearing will take place.

It is about time that Piper comes HOME! :fl

7. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Let's hope a resolution comes soon.

8. Jess041

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
  9. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I think I am going to be sick!!!
    I can not take this stress and it is not even my dog:gaah

All I can think of is my dogs in Pipers place.
    God, please, please let Piper come home! :fl

10. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Still morre delays and no one has seen this animal. i echo. Sick.