Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Could the collar be causing mats?

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by 2GoodDogs, Apr 6, 2012.

1. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    I found a mat the size of a small egg, and don't know if the collar is to blame, or maybe a negligent groomer... ( that would be me....)

Anyway, it is going to take a hunk off his neck to cut it out!

Is there a collar that won't mat the coat? He is wearing a martingale by premier.

2. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    there was a thread a while back about leaving martingales on dogs all the time, please re-consider the collar. Martingales can strangle you dog when left on and they can get it caught in various items it tightens and wont release:no:. If you need a collar on your dog all the time please invest in a leather rolled collar and they say it wont mat like other collars, but I have no experience as mine dont wear any collars.

3. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    Wearing a collar all the time will definately mat a coat, especially when the coat is wet -ie dog gets rained on.
    It can also cause discolouration to the coat.

Don't cut the mat out, try to make slices from the base of the mat to the top and then gently pry each section apart. You will lose some of the coat but it won't be nearly as noticeable.

I don't leave any type of collar on our dogs unless it is attached to a lead right before taking them out. Even the vet knows better than to leave one on my dog if the dog is in for a surgery. We nearly lost a Belgian in a freak accident when his martingale ring caught on a cupboard door handle resulting in him throwing himself around to get away from the sudden entrapment. Fortunately the door pulled off and he was okay. My old cat, who wore a collar and a tag all the first 18 years she lived with us, decided to lay on a heat duct one day and her tag went down the slot and turned. Fortunately, the collar broke. I've heard of dogs playing and getting teeth caught on the other dog's collar and I've heard of dogs getting caught on handles of doors in cars. It's a risk that I no longer am willing to take and since all my animals are microchipped I don't need to.

4. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    I second the rolled leather collar. Only collar I use on my dogs unless they are showing in breed and then they use a chain collar.

I have never gotten a mat with a rolled leather.

5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Matts do occur with collars - it's just a matter of keeping on top of brushing around their neck, and as Tagg said - splice with the scissors don't cut.

I agree that leaving a martingale on a dog alone can be risky. Save the martingales for walking, if you want to leave a collar on around the house and yard think about getting a break-away collar. It will unclip if the dog gets caught on something (same principal as the cat ones). It's difficult leaving a collar on long haired breeds all the time - not only will it matt but the long hair prevents the collar being tight enough to stop it getting caught on things.

6. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Thanks! I will take the collars off for at home lounging. We go out and do stuff every day, so now the collar and leash will hang on the rack when we come back in.

Again, thanks, I really didn't realize the dangers.

The tangle worked out a bit, but I ended up scissoring it out, it hasn't left a noticeable hole, thank goodness. He's been brushed head to tail, nails dremeled. :smile2: he will look great for the sheep tomorrow morning!

7. dmeyer123

dmeyer123 Forums Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2011
    Eastvale, CA
    Yes. It's very important to look good for the sheep!!:smile2:

8. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I third the rolled collar! (And the narrower the better)

Martingales are abit of a debate on the forum. I personally favour them because the collar hangs loose when not attached to a leash (no matting) but tightens just enough to avoid slipping the collar when attached. (btw - martingales are not to be confused with choke chains - when sized properly, they fit just like a regular collar when attached to a leash).

I'm not sure that martingales pose any more of a choke hazard then a regular collar. If sized right, it would never tighten more than a normal collar anyway. So the real decision is whether to collar 24 x 7 or not....not whether martingale or not.

I choose to collar my dogs 24 x 7 simply because of Houdini acts in the past. Even if your dog is microchipped, it might take a long while before someone figures that out and gets it scanned. A collar and tag is only a phone call away.

I