Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Using a dog walker

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Caro, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Does anyone out there use a dog walker?

Recently I got a dog walker 4 times a week. I've been unwell so the dogs were only get a very short walk and Deska was getting barky and skittish. Tully loves it and gets excited when the walker comes, but Deska hides and has to be dragged off. They both come back puffing - he walks them fast - and I must say Deska's barking has improved dramatically. Now I'm short of cash but feeling like the walking makes such a big difference I'm hesitant to stop.

Dog walkers aren't used often here - most of the dogs he walks are because the owners can't walk their own dogs (too big, too badly behaved, pull too much). I do worry a little that when it's hot maybe he goes too fast and of course just that they are okay.

So I'm just interested if anyone uses or has used a dog walker, do the dogs enjoy it, are you happy with the service, is it worth it, do you dictate where they walk or how to walk them, and do your dogs walk with other dogs. Also interested in how you found your dog walker - Oh and if you think Deska will ever not have to be dragged away.

2. Greenepony

Greenepony Forums Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2012
    We have a dog walker come for a lunchtime 30 mn walk when DH and my work schedules conflict- so maybe twice a month (which is good because technically our HOA doesn't want us to have the same visitor here more than twice a week).

There are a number of dog walking services in the area, and dog daycares because so many people work long hours and the traffic is so bad it can easily add an hour to your commute if you hit one of the waves of traffic. We chose the company we did because the walkers were insured and bonded, Olive knew one of the employees already, they left updates for us after each walk, they didn't combine walks, and they were reasonably priced (20USD for 30mn visit, and then we usually tip 5 per walk since I know they only keep 50%.)

When we got a new walker (the friend quit because she had to add a full time internship to grad school courseload) we told her the path to take, etc. Olive seems to like her, and the dog walker *loves* Olive (has said several times that she wants to get a Sheltie next because of Olive).

3. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    I'm sure you already know, but I use a dogwalker multiple times a week while I am at work. I work long hours, so I can't leave my dog home all day without a potty break. Plus, it tires her out, so she's not as crazy when I get home from work.

do the dogs enjoy it? I'm not 100% sure my dog enjoys it :lol:. I don't think she is really thrilled about walks in general. I think she would prefer to make in the yard and play fetch for exercise. She hides whenever I take out her leash, but once she is out and walking, she seems content, smelling and going with the flow.

are you happy with the service I am happy with the dog walking service I use right now. This is the 4th dogwalker my dog has had in 3 years. The first one was when I lived in a different city. She was okay, but a few times my roommate was home and the dogwalker brought another dog into my apartment and walked Bailey with him. I asked her to walk Bailey alone (and I was paying for a solo walk), but we caught her again with the other dog. She also brought kids with her one time. I didn't like this because my dog is reactive to dogs and children. The 2nd dogwalker I had was from the same company. She was a lovely lady and left me amazing "report cards". I didn't have any issues with her. If I didn't move, I would still be using her. When I moved, my friend walked Bailey for a few months, but I don't think she walked Bailey for as long as a real dogwalker does. The dogwalker I have now is great. Much more expensive than my previous walkers, because there isn't much competition here. Bailey is not very hyper when I get some, so I know she walks her for the full time.

is it worth it? Yes, even though it is expensive, it is worth it for me. My dog needs an afternoon potty break and some physical activity while I'm at work.

do you dictate where they walk or how to walk them?
    I don't tell her where to walk Bailey, but there aren't many places to walk her around where I live. I think she just walks her around the block a few times. I did tell her that if it is too hot outside, then just walk my dog till she goes to the bathroom and then play with her inside for the remaining time. Same thing when it rains. I do have my dogwalker muzzle my dog. There's a lot of stray cats in the area. The cats go through the garbage and leave food scraps on the sidewalk. My dog will eat everything off the floor and will ignore all commands when it comes to food. My dogwalker did ask if she could walk my dog without the muzzle. She thinks my dog hates her because she muzzles her, but I want her to be walked to the muzzle. Better safe than sorry.

and do your dogs walk with other dogs? No, I pay for solo walks.

Also interested in how you found your dog walker. There aren't many dogwalking companies where I live because it is a more suburban area. I did some online searching and asked for a recommendation from members at my dog training club. When I was looking, I made sure the company was bonded and insured and had an exceptional reputation.

I attached a picture of Bailey that my dogwalker sent me last week. When I come home, Bailey is standing at the gate wagging her tail with enthusiasm, but when my dogwalker comes over, she doesn't even move off the couch. Bailey just has this look on her face like "ugh, you again? Must I go out?"

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  4. JLSOhio51

JLSOhio51 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio
    OK - OK - OK, I know I always key in on an unusual part of most posts, but I cant help it. :yes: I have seen a lot of HOA regulations, and quite a few of them have specifics about numbers and times of visitors. However, a dog walker (friend or not) is not a visitor, he/she is a contractor providing a service. I think if I got flack from the HOA, I would suggest to them that roofers, plumbers and other service providers are routinely given the time necessary to provide the appropriate services, so dog walkers should be afforded the same access.

5. Greenepony

Greenepony Forums Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2012
    Actually, other service providers are under the same stipulation per the covenants, without a dispensation from the HOA for renovations (which need HOA approval.) The HOA president is in the same boat as us with his pug. We have two visitor tags that we have to use for all guests and service providers. HOAs are particularly tough in this area. We even have rules about how many and what type of planters we can have on our porch and what color our blinds/shades must be as seen from outside.

**edit** I realized I never answered Caro's question about if Olive enjoys it. A number of the notes from the walker has mentioned that Olive keeps looking at her and smiling "Like it's the best thing ever!" So I'd say yes.

6. dblock

dblock Forums Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2011
    philadelphia
    Have I used a dog walker? yes, A few Months after I brought Beau home, I was hospitalized. I had no one else to care for him.

I used a new dog walking service that had just opened up. It was actually a very good thing, because it really helped Beau get over his fear of people.

Depending on the Dog Walking Service you use, They may, or may not have their own rules on how they handle your dogs. For insurance purposes, My dog walking service did not allow dogs to interact with other dogs unless it was specifically okay'd by the pet owner.

Where as before Beau was skittish around people, I believe having the walkers come to walk him gave him the confidence he needed to know that people were not bad, or scary. In fact, now when he sees them on the street, He pulls to greet them

Would I use them again? Yes, like I said, if I were to be ill again, its nice to have someone I know and trust and who will take care of him as close to how I would if I were there. In addition, I believe its a lot less stressful for certain dogs to be left at home that to face a boarding situation.