Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Male sheltie and female Dachs? Will there be a problem with sheltie trying to mate?

Discussion in 'Considering a Sheltie?' started by Stavrum, Apr 9, 2012.

1. marymrumfelt

marymrumfelt Forums Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    No, no, you're totally right :)

2. Megansmom

Megansmom Forums Sage

Dec 4, 2009
    Texas
    In attempts to stay on topic here...

You may have your hands full at first with unaltered pets, but as long as proper precautions and diligence is taken, it will work out fine:wink2:

3. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    Animals are not very selective. Your sheltie will very likely breed the dachshund and she will probably help him out. That's why there are so many "designer" breeds out there. If the dachsy does get impregnated she could have a terrible time trying to whelp the pups.
    It's too bad you can't spay or neuter one of them. There is higher likelihood of mammory cancer, metritis and pyometra for the bitch. Prostrate problems, infections and behavioural problems are seen more in the males. I spayed all my girls once they were finished in the breeding program. I was never plagued with incontenence in any of our bitches even when many of them were 16 plus of age although I know it can happen. I think it is more likely to happen when she spends a lot of her life holding her urine for too long - just as it does in woman. Once the estrogen depletes there is nothing to condition the bladder and all the stretching over the years has a bad effect.

4. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    Just FYI- altering dog IS NOT Common in Europe. Most dogs are unaltered. I would not say exactly for Norway but many countries will charge you arm and leg for this procedure and it will be difficult to find a vet to do the procedure to begin with. Cost is usually around $1500