Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

PAL/ILP Experiences

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Greenepony, Mar 11, 2013.

1. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ

LOL...see what I know :biggrin2:

I actually thought ILP was stricter on looking like the breed and PAL wasn't as strict. OOPS...not sure where I got that from.

Thanks for the correction!

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    AKC changed the name from Indefinite Listing Privilege to Purebred Alternative Listing when they got ready to add the mixed breed Canine Partners Program.
    no pictures necessary for mixed breed- all are listed as All American......

3. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Thanks for the clarification!

4. SunChaser

SunChaser Forums Enthusiast

May 16, 2008
    Central Florida
    Both Kadin (Mo Anam Cara) which is my soul friend and Lacey-Lou (My Confection in Lace) have their PAL numbers and are competing in Rally. It was an easy process. Just follow the directions on the pictures and all will go well. Good luck with having her tested for herding...

Regards

5. Greenepony

Greenepony Forums Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2012
    Thanks everyone for your help! At this point we are just arguing about what will her listed name.

Out of curiosity, anyone know who is on " the committee" for judging if the dogs look like the breed?

6. Greenepony

Greenepony Forums Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2012
    UPDATE: She was accepted! We got the certificate in the mail this past weekend.

7. dblock

dblock Forums Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2011
    philadelphia
    pardon my ignorance, but, what is PAL?

8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Purebred Alternative Listing- you get it for dogs that look purebred that you don't have the original AKC registration papers. with it, you and your dog can compete in AKC obedience, rally and agility.
    it was formerly ILP- indefinite listing privilege. they changed the name when the AKC added the mixed breed - canine partners category.

9. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    No, it's been longer than that.

There is a dog in the area (not a Sheltie), that got an ILP, ended up in the top agility dogs for it's breed, went to the invitational, where it apparently was seen by snotty conformation people. Those snotty people petitioned the AKC to revoke the ILP, which AKC did. So the dog is listed as a mix now, they transferred all the titles over, which was nice, I guess.

I know of a few instances of this, so I guess AKC still has an "out" if your dog is sketchy. Though with the MA numbers now (Canine Parters), they are being stricter on PAL's.

10. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    My first dog was an ILP'd Flat Coated Retriever. Or close enough. I had a couple of times where snooty breed people gave us the sideways glance, and a ring steward who flat out laughed at me! (still after all these years, that burns!)

Anyway, so glad that the masquerading, and down right lying isn't necessary. If you don't know and the dog isn't obviously a purebred there are options that allow you to play!

If you believe to have a purebred submit pictures for PAL.

My Bobby was an ILP, but no one ever questioned him being a sheltie!