Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sully our 10 year old bi-blue merle was diagnosed with bladder cancer 5 months ago...

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by sandabbe, Jul 28, 2014.

1. sandabbe

sandabbe Forums Novice

Jul 21, 2014
    Corona, CA
    He is a beautiful boy, and up until this weekend you didn't know he was sick to look at him. Of course he doesn't know it either! But he has thrown up twice once yesterday day and once today. He is not eating or drinking much. I know others have gone through this I am wondering what to expect so I can prepare for it.
    He has been on peroxicam, plus we have been giving him ginger and turmeric capsules daily plus Cosamine capsules. A little,bit of chemo and holistic treatment for him. He was taking it eagerly in cream cheese and now won't changed to peanut butter he took it the last two nights, hopping he will tonight too.
    He doesn't seem to be In pain or anxious just sleeping a lot today and laying around, but gets up and goes out easily.
    I am just unclear about end of time symptoms.:(

2. susanmccain

susanmccain Forums Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2013
    London, Ohio
    Welcome to the forum. I am so sorry to hear about Sully's illness. Both you and Sully will be in my thoughts and prayers. I have no experience with such illnesses...so far mine have been on the healthy side. I wish both you and your Sully the very best.

3. tentcamp

tentcamp Forums Enthusiast

Nov 4, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    When our Louie had bladder cancer, at the end he was unable to eat much of anything, although he did the last morning. He did a lot of panting, had a hard time peeing, pooping and finding a way to lay down and be comfortable. I was unable to get his pain pills down him, if I could have, he would have been more comfortable. On the last morning his back legs would not hold him, but he allowed me to carry him outside and hold him up to pee. I still miss him, he was such a special boy that only lived to love me....

Give your Sully lots of lovin, take lots of pictures, every moment is special... Feel free to message me if you want. So sorry you both are going through this, love to you both.

4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    We lost our Ivy to bladder cancer at 10. She lived for more than 6 months after her diagnosis. At the end, she became very uncomfortable and restless and we just knew it was time. She seemed to be in pain. We didn't have gastric issues, but the meds could be causing your pup's stomach upset too.

Sending you hugs in this difficult time, and pats to Sully. :hugs

5. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Bobby was diagnosed TCC (Bladder Cancer) shortly after his 8th birthday. We started the Piroxicam protocol and did get three short months. I couldn't stand to see him suffer and that was one of the most painful three days of my life (the other two: Sasha's last day, and Willie's last day)

My heart breaks for you ~ I have no advice but lots of hugs and kind thoughts and good wishes. Some dogs get 12 -18 months and longer....

6. Pack leader

Pack leader Forums Regular

Jul 21, 2014
    Indiana
    So sad! I lost brandy a week before her 10th birthday to bladder cancer last oct. I know what your going through and what you will be going through!!

7. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    Welcome sandabbe and Sully to Sheltie Nation. I am very sorry we are "meeting" under these circumstances. Like some of the others, I do not have any experience with this disease and can't begin to image what your baby must be going through. I just wanted to offer you a few words of encouragement Please know that you, Sully and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. :sadsmile: :fl

8. Amelia

Amelia Forums Regular

Jun 23, 2014
    Florida
    So sorry to hear about your boy...

My boy was diagnosed with bladder cancer February 2014. We never new he had anything until we saw the blood drops on the floor. We did all we could including surgery, chemo, and piroxicam. He only lived six months and one morning he could no longer pee. Nothing was coming out, not even blood. He suffered for only a few hours and we could no longer watch his little legs shake as he strained to pee. He looked at us with those sad eyes asking for help so we decided to end it for him even though we didn't want to. Your boy will tell you. Take one day at a time and enjoy him for as long as you can. You will know when, I promise you. Everyone here told me I would know when. You can read about him and everyone's response on this site. My prayers are with you and your boy. One day at a time....Hugs and kisses to you both. Love, Amelia