Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Adding bones

Discussion in 'BARF, Raw & Natural Diets' started by Junebug, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Junebug

Junebug Forums Regular

Nov 21, 2013
    USA
    If I want to add bones to my puppy's diet, what is the best way to go? Beef rib? something else? I've got kids in the house, so I'm not keen on raw chicken, but maybe that's just my irrational fears, and all raw is just as likely to be contaminated.

I assumed I'd just pick up whatever is recommended from the butcher. Is that the way to go?

2. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I went with Merrick bones, the larger the better since they get a real scraping knawing around on them that way. They aren't raw but they are supposedly prepared rather naturally. Amazon has them in bulk for not that much. The dogs really love them.

3. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    What are you trying to do? What else do you feed?

If these are bones for recreational chewing, stay away from weight bearing bones of large animals. They will wreck their teeth (called "wreck bones" for a reason!). Use bully sticks or tendons for recreational chewing.

If you are looking to add fiber to the diet, then chicken bones are the way to go.

But we need more info!

4. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Good point -- how often are you intending? I was thinking supervised limited time teeth scraping. I give mine the bones about 1/2 hour every two weeks and I am literally watching them the whole time.

Were you thinking daily chewing opportunities? That would be totally different.

5. JessicaR

JessicaR Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008
    Tiffin Ohio
    I mostly use chicken for meals, but for teeth cleaning I like to give pork necks

6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    For a pup chicken necks would probably be the best place to start, they are fairly soft and you can give them as a complete meal. Avoid beef bones, they are too hard for sheltie mouths and teeth. Lamb necks are another option.

7. Junebug

Junebug Forums Regular

Nov 21, 2013
    USA
    I was definitely thinking of recreational chewing or helping to keep teeth clean chewing. I feed a rotation of orijin, taste of the wild, and merrick. I would supervise, at least be in the same room, while he chewed.

8. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    Fletcher is teething, so I gave him a bully stick last night. He thoroughly enjoyed it, but he does have a sensitive tummy so it gave him runny stools today lol!

9. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    I like raw beef or bison knuckle bones, but more often than not it's marrow bones that my local, independent, pet store has. I feed them about once a week, instead of a meal.bought chicken backs and just waiting for yhe right day when I can give it to him.

Does not replace brushing teeth, but does help keep them sparkling and gums exercised.