Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Wickets

Discussion in 'Handling Chat' started by Bradt9881, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    Got my wicket in the mail this morning to try to do a bit better than measuring Fletcher against the wall. Looks like he is following the pattern he has since I got him and within the growth curve at 24 weeks and 13.5 inches. His dad was 15" I expect he will be close to that by the time he is finished....

2. Bradt9881

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    Pup had another growth spurt, lol. 14.5 ", at 25 weeks he is just under the growth chart nomogram. Crossing fingers that he won't go over, lol!

3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    fingers crossed too:fl
    Cranberry and Jocu went over- they were over by probably 9 months or so.
    at almost 8 months, little puppy Destin is still little and under 14"- hoping he stays there:yes:

4. JessicaR

JessicaR Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008
    Tiffin Ohio
    Sheltie growth drives me nuts!! My bi-blue girl is right on the line, if I don't keep her on the thin side she goes over 16"

5. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    Ugh I agree. We're not measuring for confirmation as I knew Ruutu would be on the bigger side like his mom, but we're measuring for jump height... If we go off of my measurements he should jump 20" according to AKC (only venue I do at this time). BUT when his breeder and also my trainer measured him, they both got 17" and some change. Boy do I hope he slouches when the real measurement happens :eek:. I think that's our main issue. He stands tall for me, for them slouches. We got him at 18.50 this past weekend. He can clear both jump heights though but geesh 20" doesn't sound fun.

Anyways, I swear measurement should be an art form. One week they grow an inch, the next nothing, then nothing for a month, then a random inch. :gaah

6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Crossing fingers for you here too. :fl We're all too familiar with the Sheltie Size Roulette. It's astounding how many variables there are with Shelties that you don't find with other breeds...size, teeth, head shape, overall conformation traits. I'm told that's because Shelties are a younger breed than, say, collies, where you can count on finishing an entire litter without blinking an eye.

7. Bradt9881

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC

I am also thinking it's the collie cross variable from 90 years ago that also comes into play, at least on size. His sire was a 15 inch dog, I am hoping he will come in at 15.5 ". He is holding weight now at 19 pounds but does have good bone.

If anyone is coming to the Raleigh all breed show, he will be there 21-23 March. All opinions on him from you guys that do come are welcome!

8. JessicaR

JessicaR Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008
    Tiffin Ohio
    I was hoping the same thing with Dusty! His mom is 14" dad is just over 13" Of course Dusty just had to keep growing :rolleyes2: He topped off at 18 :gaah

9. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Are you going to be at the National in April in St. Louis? Some of us will be there. It would be fun to meet some Forumers!

10. Bradt9881

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    Sadly, I will have to miss that because of work. I fully plan on being there in 2015 when it's in Virginia, however, and enter Fletcher if he still meets breed standard by then. I also plan on entering the triangle sheltie club show in October.