Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

fencing vs aerial vs dog run

Discussion in 'Other Equipment' started by Mindlessbear, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Mindlessbear

Mindlessbear Forums Regular

Jun 12, 2014
    Illinois
    So, I'm looking at getting a puppy in the fall. I've always had shelties that stick like glue to me and don't run off, ever. However, I need to be prepared. Getting a fence at the house is a possibility, but not for about a year. So, I'm looking at a temporary measure. Now, this would not be used on a long term basis, mostly to put the dog out for 15 minutes to do the bathroom thing when I can't walk it. I'm looking at either an aerial tie out with a harness (I hate regular tie outs) or a dog run. We may have issues with a run, because our town is pretty tight about them. But I can't decide which would be a better temporary option until we can get through the red tape to put in a fence. Ideas and suggestions? I've never had to go this route before. Thanks

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Why not use a portable ex-pen that you can move or take down when you need to? They're inexpensive and the puppy can be loose inside the pen. I've clipped more than one together (sometimes two or even three) to make a bigger space. I get the 36" height and that works for my dogs.

3. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I'm not sure how strict your neighborhood is, but you could string up some temporary fencing (you can get it at Lowe's or Home Depot). We did that in the backyard when we were renting. You buy the rolled up metal fence and then the plastic pickets that it hooks to. It's not something you'd leave your dogs out in for hours, but for quick potty breaks or when puppy is playing/working with you it works.

4. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    For Fillion's first months, I made a temporary fenced area attached to our patio simply using chicken wire and stakes. I could just open the door and let him out. Note--he was very small and never tried to climb or jump. Your mileage may vary :wink2:
    And while four of my five shelties stuck like glue, Fillion has a high prey drive and herding drive and will bolt at anything that moves and will not come when called once that drive kicks in, so yeah better safe than sorry!

5. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    I definitely vote for either a moveable x-pen or for temporary fencing. This not only keeps your pup from running off, but also keeps your pup safe from other non-contained animals. A tie out leaves a pup easily vulnerable to any animal that might try to harm it.

Trini

6. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    My husband made a temporary pasture for our two goats quite easily with a roll of no climb and several T posts (watch out for utility lines and be very very careful with the T-post driver as we have seen some ugly accidents with that!). IF it is done neatly it looks pretty professional. Other than that I would vote for X-pens attached together and reinforcd with tent stakes and even a T post at each corner for extra stability.

Tie outs of any kind are dinner on a string. Not a good thing.

7. Mindlessbear

Mindlessbear Forums Regular

Jun 12, 2014
    Illinois
    Thanks so much! I love these ideas!

8. Sheltie4

Sheltie4 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2013
    Kansas City
    I have successfully used X-pens in the yard with my shy fosters, although I have a fully fenced yard.

It keeps the shy ones contained so I can catch them.

x-pens are a much cheaper alternative than temporary fencing and you can use the x-pens again.

9. Greenepony

Greenepony Forums Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2012
    If that kind of fence can hold goats, it can hold anything!:lol:

I would also recommend T-post caps. The ends can be *very* sharp and I've seen injuries from a slip causing a nasty gouge or even impaling a limb (more of an issue for humans than dogs because of height in this instance.) You can secure the caps on with a little super/gorilla glue so they don't pop off.