Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Training recommendations?

Discussion in 'Agility' started by eneda, Apr 2, 2012.

1. eneda

eneda Forums Regular

May 27, 2010
    evanston, IL
    @Diana, we should have a sheltie get together that would be fun!! :) It would also be fun if we end up taking the same class. The more shelties in a room the better.

@SheltieChe Thank you so much for the info, im definitely checking all the places out.

2. eneda

eneda Forums Regular

May 27, 2010
    evanston, IL
    We put our names down for windy city agility! We both cant wait. Well I am assuming Pebbles would be as excited if she could undertand what will happen...:)

3. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    I am so happy you will be joining! Leo is moving up to intermediate for next session so there def will be an opening:yes: New session starts in 3 weeks I believe.
    It is a great facility and pretty good for noncompetitive people, lots of good people and eventually friends. Price is good too, specially for those who plan to do it long term. Once you a member you can help to set up equipment and earn " bucks" so now my club is almost free for us. You can also help out at trials- great fun and earn bucks as well. It is great community of people, am sure you will like it.
    You will benefit if you take few beginners handling sessions somewhere else though as historically WC does not offer beginner handling teaching so while there are classes they are run by volunteers, everyone is helpful but there is no system to teach you things, they will show this or that but it is hit a miss. One has to go outside of the club to learn basics/ my opinion/.Once in advanced classes there are more serious good trainers there.

4. eneda

eneda Forums Regular

May 27, 2010
    evanston, IL
    So you would suggest taking a beginners class somewhere else first before joining? We put our name down on the waiting list for the beginners class, so I am not sure yet when we start.

5. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    my experience - you will learn something while in classes but your fundamentals will be weak if you do not go and take additional beginner classes somewhere else. That is what I ended up doing because when I started I was total noob so no clue what I needed. Many people state that they doing it only for fun but it is really no fun when you dog is running zoomies all over the ring and you have no clue how to make him do what you ask so many newbies just get frustrated and quit...
    It sounds like you have no experience in agility so you might need some extra learning. Possibilites are- you can take up few extra classes with Mickey, he is great trainer, you can sign up for session or 2 with Stacey Hawk she is great teacher. Or you could do rental Bowwowflix and get few agility DVD and practice at home. Either way you will need a bit more knowledge. Don't have to get it before you start WC, it also depends how much dog training knowledge you have, do you have good sit, recall etc
    I say if you get into next session, go ahead and see how you feel. I am just sharing my personal opinion. I'll be happy to share what I know and help out.

6. eneda

eneda Forums Regular

May 27, 2010
    evanston, IL
    Thank you so much for your help! Pebbles and I really appreciate it!
    I have a lot of training books at home and frequently do training sessions with Pebbles. I have always preferred self study for myself and that has been working really well with Pebbles. She definitely has all her basics down, has really good sit, stay and recall and knows a lot of tricks. The DVDs and rental sound like a great idea, do you have any specific recs? Oh and I emailed Mickey but have not heard back yet.
    Pebbles was limping today though, so I have to take to the vet and make sure everything is fine before we do anything.

7. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    sheesh, limping- we familiar with the deal. Che has had leg injury and then has some kind of TBD, probably Lyme... so yeah limping is no good, hoping your vet will find nothing and Pebbles will be like new shortly.
    as for DVD- my must haves is Susan Garrett " Success with one jump" and 2x2 " 12 weaves in 12 days". Success with one jump probably has about 90% of info you ever need to know about agility:biggrin2:
    Here is midwest Linda Mecklenburg has prevalence in handling system, she has few really good books and new DVD's just came out. Those you might need in few months when you figure out few things.
    For beggining I really like Mary Ellen Barry " Fundamentals" which is what you need to know/ learn before you start agility. Excellent DVD set of 6, I got it rental from Bowwowflix.
    I also absolutely love Silvia Trkman DVD, all of them, but "cik and cap" and " "ready steady go" are fabulous and great tips for agility performance.

8. eneda

eneda Forums Regular

May 27, 2010
    evanston, IL
    We are on a waiting list with Mickey!! :) As soon as we have been to the vet and Pebbles has had her limping checked and cleared (hoping thats the case) we will start with the DVDs! THank you so much for all the help!! :)

9. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    Hey, that is great! We had our run thru at WC last week and this week is off, I know few people moved up so they will be sending out invites for waitlist this week. Sure hope to hear from you soon. Summer is often attended less as many people take vacations and stuff. Can't wait to see what Pebbles can do!
    Is she still limping?

10. eneda

eneda Forums Regular

May 27, 2010
    evanston, IL
    Me too! :) We need to get limping under control first!