Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

A Sheltie for Miley Cyrus?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by harrisla, Jun 29, 2014.

1. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    The Cyrus family are long time lovers & owners of shelties, and are very knowledgeable in the breed. I had known of the story, as there was a very long post from the breeder on FB. Much thought, many conversations & careful thought was done by the breeder, and felt very comfortable with Miley.

I certainly give credit to this breeder, as she treated this in a very responsible way, and did not let the hoopla of "Miley Cyrus" get in the way of her decision.
    I'm sure that this beautiful sable will be very well cared for.

2. JLSOhio51

JLSOhio51 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio
    I'm not a supporter of Miley Cyrus and I agree that her behavior (as reported by tabloids and paparazzi) is less than desirable - BUT my thoughts after following this thread are:

1.) I too wondered if Ms. Cyrus was a good fit based upon crap reported on TV and on the internet about her;

2.) I applaud the breeder for giving concise and specific reasoning for selling the pup to this particular owner (even though her reasoning is not our business);

3.) I am a bit disappointed with what I see as knee jerk and personal attacks (unless of course some of these comments come with personal knowledge that Ms. Cyrus has been improperly treating her dogs) on this girl's fitness as an owner.

I guess I just expect more out of us here.

3. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    We can't be sure about her fitness as a dog owner, but I can tell you very candidly that I'd never trust my children with her. I mean, there's no equivocation here. Hers is a public persona, and one that she deliberately and pointedly projects, without shame, and without apology.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2014
  4. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    We're a passionate group of people who love Shelties. The responses were exactly what I was expecting. The cat people would probably be worse, though.

5. JLSOhio51

JLSOhio51 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio
    I have no problem with being passionate, as a matter of fact, life without a passion for at least something isn't truly life in my opinion. Additionally, as a father of daughters, I would be mortified if only 1/3 of the stuff I have heard about Ms. Cyrus were true if I heard those things about my daughters. I just find a wide chasm between deploring the things I hear/read about her and assuming that they are necessarily true or that she is therefore a bad dog owner and a "good" breeder shouldn't sell to her.

I see your point about the comments are pretty much what you expected. I must admit that I tend to personalize things (sometimes to a fault). I have been a member of a great number of online communities over the years, and I have witnessed interesting behavior on many of them. On political, religious or even race based forums, not much (good or bad) surprise and or/offends me. I just find several of the comments on this thread inconsistent with the atmosphere that we often say exists here. That quite frankly is a failing in my abilities and sensibilities, not necessarily in the forum makeup.

By the way, I would agree that I would not want Ms. Cyrus around my children either, but this (to me) is about the dogs and dog ownership. Over the years, I have met a number of people with questionable morals who are also dog owners. Oddly enough, I have found many of these seemingly morally deficient individuals to be wonderful pet owners. One thing does not necessarily cancel out the other and I haven't read much that suggests that Miley is a bad (or good) pet owner.

6. JessicaR

JessicaR Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008
    Tiffin Ohio
    No one can ever be 100% sure about a persons fitness to be a dog owner, all we can do is trust the breeder made the right decision when placing this pup and pray for the best.

I can say from experience you can never know.
    I placed a puppy with what seemed to be the ideal couple. They were an older couple, kids out on there own, they lost their St. Bernard and was looking for a new companion. They themselves didn't have any experience with shelties, but their son has one and frequently brought her over. These people had excellent references a good vet and even a dog trainer. After 4 months with the puppy she went back to work. Soon after they started having problems with Bailey. He started barking almost non stop in the house,pulled and lunged at cars while walking. So as a result they did the completely wrong thing, started crating him when he barked (was already being crated while they worked) stopped walking him as much because of the pulling, despite the fact that both the trainer and I said not to do this. I should also mention He was the biggest and calmest (lazy) pup of the litter!

They brought him back for 2 weeks so I could evaluate and work with him. At my house he didn't not bark much, and yes he pulled and lunged at car but it only took a couple of days and he was no longer doing that. They witnessed this for themselves before they took him back home. I gave them a halti to walk him (and instructions to put him on a diet!) and showed them how to correct him if he pulled.

All was fine for a month, he was doing good at home they was walking him again, and even coming home at lunch time to let him stretch his legs. Then I got the call, he had started up the bad behavior again, this time they returned him so I could find him a new home. :(

So after all that I found Bailey a new home with a couple with kids and an aussie to play with, and to this day he is doing great with the family.

7. Kelly

Kelly Administrator

Feb 21, 2008
    This is 100% our forum policy. No one here knows anything about Miley and her family. No one here has the right to pass judgement. Believe NOTHING you read third party in the media about them.

Miley, her family and this dog's breeder should be treated with the same level of respect as any other Sheltie lover here. Any negative, judgmental or snarky comments will be dealt with by myself and the moderators.

8. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    I totally agree. Thank you for posting this.

9. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    Seeing that there are as many different sets of values as there are people who possess them, it's probably for the best. :eek:

10. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    If the breeder screened the prospective pet parent well (as she stated she has done), then it's up to us to welcome this new (or kind of new) sheltie owner to the board like everyone else (heck, she may read this!)

If this pet parent who happens to be high-profile is willing to state that she got a dog from a wonderful breeder (not a puppy mill cut-rate shady situation) and that any and all pets shelties or otherwise rescues or otherwise are a major life long responsibility and should be chosen with an understanding of the breed characteristics and then be trained and involved as a life-long member of the family, then it's not a bad thing. Yes, it is hard to stand up in the face of "don't buy -- only rescue" and if she can do that for us all, it's positive. Thus, if people in general are reminded to go to a shelter if they feel compelled to or a reputable breeder (consciously excluding the DISreputable breeders) but no matter what to choose an animal for life and for good pet ownership, it's a good thing.

As to this celebrity's life, well, the public image role and the media game in no way accurately portray anyone. We have no idea what it is like for sure. It's acting on one hand and then skewed by the media further on the other. Discussion of her character would need to come from people who know her in real life, not the spotlight role.

And as for "get one because" . . . . how is this any different in the amount of shelties being used on dog food bags and dog food commercials, pet pharmacy commercials, greeting cards, etc? They are really pretty dogs and until I got one I didn't even notice how many are on TV and in print. I do have to say if you search Petfinder and put in sheltie -- exclude the animals shelters call sheltie that clearly are not-- there is a very very small number of shelties in shelters. I doubt this one celeb will change that. People get their shelties and keep them at a way higher rate than other breeds. I know, I've looked, often.

Anyway, best wishes for little Emu and his new family. I suppose I won't ruffle my feathers much about this, but I will continue to educate people we meet about the breed realistically like I always do and I hope this celeb pet owner does the same.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014