Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Puppy S.T.A.R.S

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by 2GoodDogs, Aug 18, 2014.

1. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Anyone going to enroll in the AKC Puppy Star classes? Why or why not?

2. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    What are those? Can you post a link please.

3. 2GoodDogs

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
  4. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I think the program is a good idea--but my one caveat is that it really depends who is running it as to whether or not it's any good. I looked and looked for a puppy class for Enzo and found one that was an AKC STAR class. Seems like that made it legit (and a couple people said the instructor was good) so we went for it.

It was awful. We were in a tiny building with several big out of control dogs. There was no structure, no teaching, just dragging and luring. They didn't like it if anyone had a separate opinion, etc. We left and I asked for my money back. Never received it--chalked it up as a loss.

5. 2GoodDogs

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Oh no, I hate to hear that! Please contact AKC Customer Service to report them.

I take pride in the being an Evaluator and I run a pretty good 6 week class. It is not an out of control kindergarten with puppies bullying each other... It is hands-on, and as much as being a responsible pet owner as it is about training basics and fundamentals.

Darn, sorry your experience wasn't good.

6. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    Thanks for the link. I'll have to check it out for the future.

7. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Ugh! We all know I have debated puppy kinder which culminates in STAR testing.

However, I am really afraid the class will be filled with my local demographics (GSD, lab, golden, aussie, and pits). Not that these are bad -- I have had 2 of the list, but they are big, likely out of control, and several of those play a little more aggressive than my zoomie sheltie.

As much as I wanted to start with a STAR title, forget it. We will do our thing on leash and next spring go for CGC when it is offered again. While I think on leash dog meeting dog is good, paying for part of the time for dogs to just run amok around the facility, no way.

8. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    It's a good idea, but we didn't do it because the place we went rotated between S.T.A.R.S. and puppy kindergarten. When Ruu was the right age, they only had puppy kindergarten.