Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Indoor Or Outdoor Trials?

Discussion in 'Agility' started by take4roll10, Aug 5, 2013.

1. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    I only started comps this year and we have a lot of indoor ones simply because of the rough weather in the UK. You can never be certain what you are going to get!

The ones I went to at Beachside were very good. It was an indoor horse area separated into two rings, each ring had a separate entrance from the outside. The viewing area was completely separate, you could access the rings via it but not with a dog - the viewing area is off-limits to dogs. Nearby is a huge field over-looking the river where you can walk your dogs on or off lead.

There is no crate area as the car park is literally just outside and people left their dogs in their cars. As this area is only used in the winter months there isn't a worry about over-heating.

I found people pretty good at avoiding crowding and giving space, it is actually in the BAA rules that dogs should be given a 3 foot breathing space between each other. I did have one incident, but that wasn't during the main comps but during one of the fun sessions when a dog rushed off the course and had a go at Merlin. For the most part I have never had a problem.

I have just filled in my form for the first Beachside comp of the 2013/2014 season and that is an outdoor one. I'm a little bit worried as I won't be able to leave Merlin safely in his crate in the car as it will be too far away. He'll have to be with me all the time, so I've got to try and avoid over-tiring him. I also worry about it being more open, more distractions. Hopefully we'll be fine.

I know some people prefer indoors because it is confined and they worry about outdoors because a dog can run off. I know one lady who has some brilliant cockers running, but last time she was at the outdoor venue one of her cockers just decided to abandon the course and leg it. Fortunately there are no roads nearby, but this is a HUGE piece of grassland and the dog ran quite a way!

Each to his own, I think.

2. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    As I mentioned earlier in the thread I mostly trial indoors. At CPE Nationals this year the rings were a mix of indoor/under a pavilion and outdoor. Of the three rings, the one I liked the least was the outdoor ring.

My problems with the outdoor ring were mostly the footing. I definitely ran slower in the outdoor ring because of the uncertain footing which impacted the way Edan and I performed; we were slower then normal and it one case I wasn't in the correct position to direct Edan where I wanted him to go.

The other problem I have with outdoor rings is more personal; I tend to get sick in high heat/humidity. Being outside, even under a tent, would make me miserable in the middle of the summer during prime trial months; though it would probably save money since I'd be less likely to trial in the summer.

Indoor venues have their downsides but I definitely prefer them. I'll also happily admit that B&D has me spoiled because of the quality of the facility.

3. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    Since running displays with Cadbury then Merlin over the last two years in summer, I have noticed a similar thing. I just can't take the heat once it gets beyond 25 Celsius.

A combination of plenty of fluids, eating before running (even if not hungry, but so my blood sugar doesn't drop) and taking my inhaler before I run have made a big difference, but I still have to be careful and take it a bit slower. At displays that isn't a problem, at comps I would be tempted to run fast!

Fortunately, UK weather being what it is most displays aren't that hot, or there is a big wind blowing, or the heavens open, etc, etc.

I think I would hate living in a hotter country though...

4. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    By me in North/Central New Jersey, most AKC trials are actually outdoors. There are a few indoors, but they're little one ring trials and some don't even have A/C.

I haven't had any issues with footing outdoors, but weather is definitely an issue. I've already had two trials canceled due to weather and have competed in 90+ degrees. I just really did not like the sports complex we went to last weekend. The rings were nice, but everything else was too tight and chaotic. The closest indoor venue to me that has space is Dream Park, but honestly, I like to keep my driving limit to around an hour. Dream Park is about two hours from me.

I really like that indoor warehouse in Pittsburgh. I tried to convince my BF that we should buy a huge warehouse in central NJ & turn it into a dog trial venue. Since there is nothing like that around here. If we had something like that, I would be more open to indoor trials.

5. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    I like both indoor and outdoor trials. They both have their pros and cons and it can vary wildly from location to location. I would say about 80% of the trials here are indoors.

We had 5 indoors locations- 2 of them are really tight getting into and out of the rings(1 ring trial), they are also the ones with the poles!(St Paul and TCOTC) However, crating space is wonderful at TCOTC. That location also has nice soft rubber grippy flooring. St Paul has rubber flooring and I see alot of dogs slip on it. I will only run Diva at St Paul. Ember does not the pressure getting to the gates and the poles annoy her so i don't show her either place. I ran Birch at the UKC trial at TCOTC and he did ok.

The other 3(On the Run, Soccer Blast and Vadnais Sport Complex) are nice though I notice the turf at Soccer Blast is getting more slick with age. Crating is a nightmare there too(get there early or forget it). Vadnais is the newest,only 1 trial so far but it is quickly my favorite, tons of space, good A/C, great turf. We have a trial there this weekend so we will see how second impressions go. I would run all 3 dogs at any of these places.

The only thing I dislike about outdoor trials is the weather. I almost frozen last year in St Peter and died of heat stroke in Lake Elmo. Rain or snow always seems to be looming. Other wise it is great. I do find Diva has a hard time with footing outdoors and she is not as fast. Ember is faster as long as it isn't hot then she melts. Birch doesn't matter but he is more distracted but then again we mostly train indoors.

6. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    B&D is my fav! (of course, it's only 30 mins from my parents house) I also LOVE PISA since the rings are separated so nice and spectators are on the outside watching in.

7. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    PISA put down new turf last year so it's very nice to run on. What I do love about PISA is that it is only 10 minutes from my house. :lol: B&D is just over 1 hour but well worth the drive.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  8. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    Chicago area are mostly indoors, the only venue that still mostly outdoors is NADAC that is why we have not started yet there. I believe even for practice my dogs did about 2 courses outdoor, never mind trialing. There are plenty of good facilities offering trials and some more popular than others. Flooring seems not to bother my dogs whichever it is, we used to rubber rolled mats in our training facility. Our facility offers 6 CPE trials a year, we do few other places but I like to have close distance, thankfully agility is very popular so plenty of places to choose within 2 hrs driving range. And you always get into CPE trial of your choice:yes:

9. Hurtseverywhere

Hurtseverywhere Forums Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2010
    London Ont
    So far I have only ever trialed indoors on dirt or outdoor on grass, next month we are doing our first indoors on fake turf so it will be interesting to see how that goes, Storm runs much better on dirt inside , Cosmo's about the same in or out but he likes grass over dirt, I prefer inside because of the weather factor, we have experienced a couple of horrid outdoor trials one because of heavy wind and rain over both days and another because of absurd temperatures and humidity over 3 days , although I am not sure if being inside on that occasion would have been any better at least you would have been out of the direct sun, + 100 degree temps with above 90% humidity does not make for a Fun time inside or out. WE train outside on grass ,as much and for as long as we possibly can or inside on some pretty tired old rubber in the winter that's got virtually no grip left to it at all it actually shines, and I am not a big fan of our winter training inside on rubber that's for sure its OK for Cosmo but even he still slips a bit ,for Storm Not so good at all she just too fast and quick and is slipping and sliding all over the place. I try and do a lot of short tight slow control work or short straight line stuff with her so she can't get going to fast but she still slides around a lot but it's all I have available to train on during the winter.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013