Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Birch agility practice 6/24

Discussion in 'Agility' started by Justicemom, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    In Novice, there are less obstacles so there is more room inbetween jumps so for a fast dog slow handler that does cause some issues. I have taugh/am teaching a go on command which means run on the line straight until I tell you not to. That helps. However if I get too far behind, Birch is still looking back" where did you go mom" I am trying to get speedier to help that. As you move in excellent/masters there are more obstacles and there for less room. The spacing is the same as you saw in the video. Of course, different courses have different designs so some are more running then others but it translate well, at least with AKC.

There are guidelines for the Judges to follow when setting up and designs the courses. You can read about them here.
    http://images.akc.org/pdf/rulebooks/REAJG1.pdf
    Interesting reading and gives a person a look into what the judges are trying to do and what they can't do (yet) as far as course design.

2. ortegah

ortegah Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    You guys look great! The more comfortable you get the faster he'll get.

3. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    1. When you set up training for your own space you will need to consider stride of your dog and set up jumps with at least one stride. Stride counts when one foot hit the ground till next time that same foot hit the ground. You need at least one stride to evaluate if your dog reads your handling and generally you do not want dog to bounce, i.e. take off from same space where he landed. I generally would have 15-18 feet from one jump to another and about 8-10 feet gap between jumps like in case where serp training.
    The less space you have the less speed you can get. It does not translate well, i.e. if dog learned how to hold contacts while walking on DW, holding contacts while running at speed is totally different skill.
    2.Agility courses are set with certain space requirements, correct me if I am wrong but NADAC has like 22 feet, AKC and CPE something like 20´and USDAA is 18´? Does not mean that obstacles will not be closer to each other otherwise but the course travel from one to another obstacle has to adhere to the standard.

4. JLSOhio51

JLSOhio51 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio
    Thanks, SheltieChe, that is exactly what I needed to know

While watching the video at the start of this thread, clearly the course was set up tighter/closer than the videos from actual trials (I understand that training venues will not all have the space to spread things out the way obstacles are set up at trials). I just assumed that there were would have to be issues (either trainer or dog related) when the course was more wide spread than the training venue.

The reason for this question has to do with things that Nick Sparks says on The Agility Show. He talks often about the course being set up at the discretion of the judges, but he never elaborates as to whether that is actual course and/or spacing. He has said that the judges can choose things like two weaves or no teeter, etc. Thanks for your response.

5. seashel

seashel Forums Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2010
    Kent, UK
    Nice :smile2: I was also impressed with your calm handling and Birch's weaves are looking great!

I was interested to learn that in Novice there are less obstacles as that is something I have wondered about when watching agility videos on here. I'm normally so focussed on watching the dog/handler that I haven't counted the obstacles but I did wonder if there were fewer in certain classes. Here in the UK it seems that the standard course length is generally 19 obstacles no matter what level/Grade you are at or which show. I think fewer obstacles would be easier to remember :)lol: I struggle beyond 10! ) but I can see what you are saying about greater distances being an issue with fast dog slow handler as that is my problem too, particuarly with just jumps.

6. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    The spacing between jumps in AKC is 18 feet, 21 feet after a spread jumps. I might not look like it but the 2 rows of jumps where 18feet apart. I agree the gap between the jumps was a bit tight.

The room is 80x60 I believe because they have held obedience trials there and 2 rings have been in that room(minimum ring size of 30x40ft) with a 10 ft aisle and crating space. So it is bigger than it looks.