Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How old is my sheltie?

Discussion in 'General Health' started by LadyMcBeth, Apr 15, 2012.

1. LadyMcBeth

LadyMcBeth Forums Enthusiast

Oct 30, 2010
    San Marcos TX
    When I adopted Daisy, I assumed the age on her rescue info paragraph listed was her correct age. That would make her around 8 years old. However, in talking with her foster mom, she said as Daisy lost weight and became more active, they suspected she might be much younger.

Because Daisy was in such terrible physical shape when she came to rescue, it is really hard to determine how old she really is....

I took her to my vet a few months ago for a UTI, and told him I thought she was around 8, and he didn't disagree with me. I am taking Daisy in for a senior blood panel in June, and will ask him then how old he thinks she is. Until then, any insights or information on how to determine a sheltie's age would be greatly appreciated.

2. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Unless they came with papers or some kind of vet record etc into rescue, it is really hard to determine the age of an adult sheltie. Sometimes you can look at wear on the teeth, amount of tartar, check the eyes for nuclear sclerosis(that doesn't occur until about 7 yr) and then it is still a guess.

Puppies are easiest as you can age them when the teeth are coming in but even then if they are still growing and have they adult teeth you can only say greater then 6 months and less than a year.

We have had some strays come in that look in really rough shape and later found out because they were reclaimed that they were much younger. We have also had some come in that look great for their age. Last month I had a cat who was 16yrs(complete year vet records) come in and she didn't look a day over 8yr. With adult rescues you never know.

3. LadyMcBeth

LadyMcBeth Forums Enthusiast

Oct 30, 2010
    San Marcos TX
    Thank you Dr. Shelli,

Daisy's teeth were in pretty bad shape because of her diet before she got to rescue....but she does have nuclear sclerosis.....

That gives me a good indication that she is at least 7 years old....

I appreciate the info.