Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Bad, bad groomer

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by mrsjjet, Mar 19, 2012.

1. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Same here. My groomer is active with our sheltie rescue and always has fosters.

2. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    I would willing drive the 90 minutes to where Emma's breeder works as a groomer just to have her do the dogs.

3. Toffee's Mom

Toffee's Mom Forums Sage

Aug 31, 2009
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    oh u poor dear
    i would be upset, too I know!

I don't trust any groomer,around here they want you to go and leave the dog with them alllll day, like who does that :eek2:????
    I am too worried they will be rough with my Mister Toffee because they may not have the time or patience to go slow and steady and to work with positive enforcement only ... and some believe in choke chains *SHIVER* or watched some stupid dog whisper episodes *(whom I abhor) and they think that is how they want to treat MY dog...
    plus I think that table looks like a torture device, lollll

Yeah, so no
    I don't show my dog, as evidenced by the pics, I just try to do right by him, but don't care what it looks like, and he has no mats!
    I do everything but the nails myself, the vet or technicians do those :D

4. sable

sable Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2008
    I do my shelties, because I truly don't know who has the knowledge for the sheltie breed.

I am so sorry that happened to you. I read about the groomers, and I say to myself ok might not be perfect, but your not shaved. So aggravating. Yes I would say something to the owner.

5. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    Aww..poor thing. And right when her coat was really coming together. On the upside, it'll grow back, it'll just take some time.

I'm still trying to comprehend WHY someone would do that. At all!!! I mean, for crying out loud, look up a photo of a show dog online if you're not sure...before you shave or cut.

Maybe your husband can call them since you don't like confrontation? I think they should know what happened and/or make a note of it regarding any Sheltie. Sheesh.

6. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I don't think they do it to be mean....I just think that they don't know any better.

I think in grooming school they are well training in clipping the small breeds because that is where most the customers come from. I expect that little of their schooling relates to medium sized double-coated breeds, so they see a matted butt and they go at it in the same way.

In the all the years that I've owned Shelties, I've only found 3 groomers who actually got it. One disappeared, the 2nd is too far away to be practical and finally I fount a third. I knew she was a keeper as soon as she commentted on my boy's shaved buts from 6 months prior. Yeah, she saw it.

All to say, I'm in favour of spending the money to having baths, ears and toes done by a groomer.....but for now, I'm keeping my scissors away from my dog.....even with the new groomer I found.

The best investment you could make is a small grooming table, the book, the Illuastrated Guide to Sheltie Grooming, checking out utube videos and learn how to do most of this yourself. At most the trimming is once every 56 weeks or so for a companion dog.

7. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Love it Barb!!!

8. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

OK - typo.....should be every 5 to 6 weeks.....K9, your messing with me right??????? LOL!

9. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Well, I was thinking every 56 weeks was a long time, but hey, I like it, it means less grooming. ;)

I was wondering how grinchy they'd get in 56 weeks.

10. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

LOL! I'm sure someone with time on the hands and a creative touch could show...but I do know that this would be extremely nasty:yes::wink2: