Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Post Exercise "Funk"/ Weekly Shampoo

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Greenepony, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Greenepony

Greenepony Forums Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2012
    I've started taking Olive with me on my runs (which turn into mostly power walk because how dare I make the princess move faster than 4.5 mph :rolleyes2:) Well, she smells more than a little funky after doing at least a half marathon each week.

Is there a shampoo that's designed for dogs that are bathed frequently? Her coat looks so much better now that we're not doing weekly medicated baths (allergies) but that funk... is there a better way?

2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    A good quality dog shampoo can be used weekly (I like the Plush Puppy range).

Not sure if the smell is coming from the skin or coat. I don't like dog smell so give mine regular 'rinses' to get rid of the doggy smell as a large part of that comes from the outer coat. I use the Plush Puppy Seabreeze oil but you can probably use doggy conditioner, put some in a bucket with water, get a big car sponge and just sponge down the outer coat. Works a treat, they dry off quickly and they're lovely and fresh for another week.

3. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I would not bath weekly....too hard on the skin.

I would get a leave in shampoo and dilute it about 1:4 parts. Spritz the dog and brush out.

This should alleviate the doggie smell and also help you keep on top of regular brush outs. i.e. Sheltie pants!