Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

2 Shelties at Shelter in Gatineau Québec (10 min from Ottawa)

Discussion in 'Adopt a Sheltie' started by Meldor, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Meldor

Meldor Forums Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2011
    Ottawa
    Danny's mommy, unfortunately there are no Sheltie rescue close by. They currently are at a no kill shelter in Gatineau. They were transported from an overpopulated shelter in Montreal which is about 2 hours away from Gatineau.

P.s: are my pictures showing up because it indicates on my browser that they are pending approval:confused2:... I wonder if I attached them wrong..

2. Danny's mommy

Danny's mommy Forums Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2011
    Michigan
    Your pictures are not accessible on my I pad. I contacted a former sheltie rescuer breeder near Montreal and am waiting for any names of rescue people. Did you see the sheltie in Cowansville, QC? Here is his link
    http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/22730715
    You never know who may see this.

3. Meldor

Meldor Forums Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2011
    Ottawa
    Thanks for posting that Danny's Mommy, the little guy looks way too thin. Hopefully he can find a good family and you are right, you never know who might see this thread and be closer to help him.

The pictures should be working now (thank you again @corbinam for you help!).

I'm still thinking about offering to foster Whitney.... I'll update on if I decide to do so. Otherwise I will walk them as many times as I can while they are there.

4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Meldor, you may find that fostering will help settle your own Sheltie. Especially if Whitney is quiet as you say. Having fostered a number of dogs from a Golden mix down to a very small Chihuahua mix, I can tell you it is a rewarding experience.

But if you can't, just going and walking them and letting them know some affection and time away from the shelter is HUGE. I get my special ones out away from the shelter and we go to a spot with grass, and they just love to roll around and be petted and talked to.

Thanks for helping Whitney and Hailey. They both look very cute.

5. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    Have you contacted Sheltie Ontario Rescue to see if they want to transport them down? We brought in the ones from Quebec in December so they may be willing to do it again. That way the dogs would be in foster homes instead of a shelter if the shelter will release them. Kathy Perron would be the person to contact. I could let her know about them if you would like me to.
    Joanne

6. Meldor

Meldor Forums Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2011
    Ottawa
    Joanne, that would be great if you could contact her! I really think these girls would benefit of foster homes. Thank you for helping out!

Sharon7, you are totally right about the benefit of walking and simply spending time with the dogs outside of the shelter. Their face shows how much stress they release when they are in the calm outdoors with one on one time with a human.

7. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    I just sent the link to Kathy and hope to hear back from her by tomorrow. I'm not sure what shift she might be working tonight. I'll let you know what she says when I hear from her. In the meantime, glad you are there helping these two.

8. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    Just an update: Sheltie rescue was willing to take them and contacted the shelter. We got a reply saying that they, the shelter, felt that since these came from another shelter that they felt that it was up to them to rehome them. At this point there is nothing we can do - it is a NO KILL shelter but they took our coordinator's number for future use. Hope that Hailey and Whitney find good homes soon or that the shelter has a change of heart as we have foster homes available and a reliable transport team.

9. Toffee's Mom

Toffee's Mom Forums Sage

Aug 31, 2009
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    oh my, that little Hailey sure looks like she'd have my number...
    wish they were closer...

10. Meldor

Meldor Forums Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2011
    Ottawa
    :confused2: I find this surprising as a foster home would obviously be better for shy dogs like those 2 (especially Whitney). Thanks for all your help and hopefully they have a change of heart.

I don't mean to give out a bad rep to this SPCA as they do great work with little resources and adopt out so many animals but they aren't always well organized for fostering and such. My friend recently fostered 2 puppies from them and managed to find a family for one of them. When the other puppy was 9 weeks old they asked her to bring it back to them as they had found a family for him. Well 2 days later, the puppy shows up on their facebook page with the mention ''looking for a foster home or forever home''. My friend was not impressed and quite upset as this was a very sensitive pup and sending him to different homes at that age could definitely affect him negatively. Apparently, they simply don't have a well managed foster home protocol which is unfortunate for the animals there.

Anyhow keeping my fingers crossed for the 2 girls and going to walk them when I can. Thank you Joanne for all your help.