Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Help needed with potty training

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Lacysmom, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Lacysmom

Lacysmom Forums Regular

May 17, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I am ready to lose my mind. I got my new sheltie puppy 2 wks ago when she was 8 wks old. Now, obviously, she's 10 wks. I've had a male dog do this, but for some reason, this female puppy doesn't empty her bladder completely when she goes out to pee. I work from home and take her out anywhere from every 30 to 60 minutes while awake. She'll pee a good amount, and then might pee again 15 minutes later, once inside. This makes potty training almost impossible! I hate to keep her in a pen, but I can't have my entire house full of pee and poop. The pen is larger than a cage, and the problem is that she'll pee in there, too. The pen is only used when I need to have her contained while i do something. She has never soiled her cage, which is smaller.

How do I potty train a puppy who won't empty her bladder completely? Also, I work from home and am with her 24/7. Because she never empties her bladder, each time she whimpers, I'm thinking she has to go, and I leave my computer and run her outside. All I've done is train her now, that when she whimpers, she gets picked up and taken outside.

I'm exhausted and ready to lose my mind. What shall I do?????

2. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    Honestly, she's so young that I don't know if there is much more you can do unless you crate her and let her out every so often to potty. My boy even to this day of being almost 7 months pees 30 minutes-hour when we're home, especially when playing. At our dog class, it's a running joke he has to pee twice and poo once or class isn't done and the class is only an hour... Others might have better advice for you, but for now, I'd still take her out.

3. Lunatic59

Lunatic59 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I am sorry to say ... get ready for more exhaustion. Really, 10 weeks is way too young to expect any type of potty consistency. Sure you hear stories or maybe even had a pup that was the perfect potty trained dog very early, but the vast majority of dogs don't get it completely for months. Not to mention that even if they did understand, they simply can't hold it.

Here is where her crate will be your best friend. Continue to take her out frequently while you are playing. When you can't watch her like the proverbial hawk, put her in her crate, not the pen. If you are home, but working and can't pay her all the attention she'll be crying for, then you could move the crate into your office (or wherever you do the work from). Just be sure that the first thing you do when you let her out is to take her out to pee.

As long as you don't use the crate as a punishment, she will learn to feel safe there and enjoy her crate time. The instinct is strong not to soil her bedding so she will be fine in there for longer periods.

4. Laddie's Mom

Laddie's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2013
    N/A
    I agree with the rest, 10 weeks is really young to expect better. However, what I did, I took Laddie out after every nap, every play, and every feeding. I realize that is difficult when you are working, and even then, it does not always work, but, it is a start.

LOL, now, he holds it for an eternity, he is 7 months old and I swear, I don't know how he does it, but, he is fully house trained.............I least I think he is.:wink2: