Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

sheltie owner from Florida

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by msjwalker, Apr 8, 2014.

1. msjwalker

msjwalker Forums Novice

Apr 8, 2014
    st. pete, fl
    I have a 6 yo female that's perfect, of course. I've had sheltie all my life since I was twelve. Is there any other breed!

I, recently moved to Florida this year and I'm having a problem with fleas and itching of my dog's paws. I've used Revolution medication in the past, but this must be a bad year in Florida (warmer than usual winter?) Does anyone have a suggestion what a better flea and hesrtwo rm product is the best? Molly would sure like relief.

Thanks!

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    welcome:smile2:
    we love pix:yes:

didn't have a sheltie when I lived in FL- had a short hair dog that I flea combed on a regular basis......

3. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    Hello msjwalker and Sheltie, welcome to Sheltie Nation, sure would love to see pictures of your baby. You didn't say, is your baby a male or female? I too live in Florida, on the East Coast and I had my Sheltie for over 11 years, fortunately I (or I should say, Bambi) never had any problems with fleas, as for heartworm product, I used Heartgard on Bambi her whole life without any issues. I know several others will chime in with their preferences, so you may just have to experiment with a couple and see what works best for your baby. Good luck. :fl

4. Internette

Internette Forums Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2012
    Florida
    I am fortunate also as I have 3 cats and my sheltie Chauncey and have had no flea issues, ( knock wood). Chauncey came to me a year ago and he was on trifexis so that is what I am using. I also have the cats on advantage. It gets costly here with them all but it beats scratching, and trying to clean up and kill off fleas. Chauncey also is groomed every 8 weeks and she really goes over him and he wears a tick collar from the vets office. I was sitting in the dog park and one owner pulled a tick off the top of a dogs head and it started bleeding, we went right away to get a tick collar. I am very anti bugs.

I had a situation feb/mar where I took in a friends dog covered in fleas, she was covered in them and it took 4 baths and picking them out with tweezers and then flea treatment across the back neck. I was still paranoid of any getting my pets. I was a mess with worry and the poor little yorkie I helped probably thought I was trying to drown her or something.

5. Laddie's Mom

Laddie's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2013
    N/A
    Welcome to SN from New Zealand

6. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    Welcome - no fleas here but we had our first deer tick this week. We still had snow in the piney parts of the park and I did not bother to check Hanna when we got home thinking it was still too cold. Found it a day later when I was petting her. little buggers really latch on tight. Time for a visit to the vet to get some revolution.