Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Ivermectin?

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by tgolike, Apr 1, 2012.

1. mlamont

mlamont Forums Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2010
    PA

My vet is holding a 1 year supply of interceptor for me, but after that Sentinel. I will also have the MDR1 gene test done this year to see where we stand. If we're OK on the MDR1 gene mutation then no worrys. Fingers crossed.

2. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    My risk matrix is quite clear on this issue. The odds of me screwing up a dose of interceptor is about zero. The odds of my getting the wrong ivermectin, failing to dilute it properly, or otherwise screwing something up in the process is higher than zero. Easy choice here.

3. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    exactly my thought!!!!! I suck soo horribly at math id be afraid id kill someone!

4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I use Interceptor too. Ivermectin may be safe in small doses but I don't need to take the risk. I'm hoping my stash of Interceptor holds out until it comes back. Otherwise I'll go to Sentinel too.

5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    just curious- if Sentinel is made by the same company that makes Interceptor, how come it is still available?
    Is it still available?- I haven't checked.

well I just checked- it's not available either

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    1800petmeds suggests these alternatives:
    Trifexis
    Revolution
    Iverhart Max
    Heartgard Plus

Dr Foster and Smith adds
    Tri-Heart Plus
    Advantage Multi

7. JessicaR

JessicaR Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008
    Tiffin Ohio
    My vet was the one who told me the correct dosage and even mixed the first batch for me so... I feel confident my dogs are safe, they have been on it for a while now, and they was on heartgard before that

I would never recommend someone to start using it without researching first and even talking to their vet, just as I wouldnt recommend a raw diet for their dog without first researching

8. tgolike

tgolike Forums Regular

Mar 17, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Well, even before reading these comments, I had decided not to do the ivermectin on my own anymore. The Wal-Mart right by home now carries a generic version of Heartguard Plus that is exactly like Heartguard but cheaper. I can get a 6 month supply for my 60 lb lab for $30, and a 6 month supply for Alex's size for $20. So, that is what I am going to start doing. I am taking Summer in Saturday for a heartworm test, and Alex goes to the vet Thursday. I will get prescriptions for both of them.

9. Danny's mommy

Danny's mommy Forums Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2011
    Michigan
    My vet sells us Heartguard Plus for Danny. It is a chewy molasses kind of square. So it is already measured. Personally, I wouldn't trust myself to measure out a dose for him. But then that's just me.

10. Laura0901

Laura0901 Forums Novice

Apr 13, 2011
    Australia
    Laura0901

I wouldn't risk using it. I used it on my shelties for a couple of years with no side effect BUT one of the pups that I bred died as a result of his owner accidently overdosing him. It was a shocking death with the poor dog fitting and being in an induced coma for days before he died.

btw one of our local vets told me that he 'accidently' killed a clients Collie Rough with it too Laura