Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

First tick ever- a little worried that I didn't fully remove it

Discussion in 'General Health' started by MeoMeu, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
  2. cookieP

cookieP Forums Regular

Jan 28, 2014
    Spartanburg, SC
    I wouldn't combine any preventatives if I didn't absolutely have to. Cookie goes to doggy day care with me every week, walks in wooded and grassy areas daily, and gets an average of three ticks a year. He rarely has a flea. I do not use any chemical preventative at all. A couple ticks usually are not that big of a deal. I know they're really disgusting and they do gross me out, but the chemicals and poisons in the preventatives don't only affect the tick/flea, they harm the dog as well. The dogs are obviously much larger so they can survive it, but…I'd rather my dog have a tick or two occasionally than poison his bloodstream or put chemicals in his body.

But that's just me. I understand some people don't want to risk the possibility of disease. Every dog owner can certainly make their own educated decision. But there are some easy non-chemical things that could help you :)

Some non-poisonous additions you could make to your current prevention methods:
    -Spray the dog with apple cider vinegar diluted with water and brush it through the fur.
    -Give brewer's yeast supplements.
    -Add apple cider vinegar (in small doses) to their water supply.
    -Try Only Natural Pet's flea/tick tag, I've used it before and it worked very well for me, I just don't really need the extra protection this year.

Best of luck!

3. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    I have been using Advantix for the past couple of years. Revolution won't kill the tick fast enough to avoid disease for the dog or me whereas the Advantix kills it in about 4 hours and repels them too. Ticks have become a major problem here in Ontario these past couple of years. I have two friends with lyme disease and wouldn't wish it on anyone.