Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

The Up Contact

Discussion in 'Agility' started by Bejilia, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Bejilia

Bejilia Forums Regular

May 13, 2011
    Germany
    Hi there,

I don't have much experience in training dogs to touch the up contact, because I always had (and have) shelties, who touch it automatically. Now there is a doberman in one of my classes and for him it's easier to jump up. I would be glad, if we could ignore that, 'cause it's really better for him, but we have a lot of judges here, who give a mistake for the up contact. Of course I have ideas, how to train it, but I want to collect as much ways as I can, so we can find the best for this dog. (Yes, I know, you all work with shelties, but...) Do you know methods? :confused2:

So far I know:
    - laying a bar in front
    - train with touch
    (- tunnel bow (hoop?) in front, but this is too small for him...)

I just don't want to destroy his good down contacts... :no:

Thank you for ideas

R. m. Q.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    That is a tough question. You're right that most (all?) sheltie owners don't have to worry about this.

I think I would be inclined to add a low jump (or bar) to change his stride as he gets on, but I think you mentioned that. Hope someone else can chime in with a different answer!

3. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    You know what, I'm not sure what else to suggest you try. My first thought was a hoop but you said that's too small for him. Could using a NRM on an upside help? :confused2:

I realize why your friend needs to train this since you don't want to NQ because a judge calls a fault on an up contact. I'm curious about how changing his striding on the up side is going to impact his contacts on the down side. You may end up with a little retraining there as well simply because the striding is different regardless of the process used.

4. HopeShelties

HopeShelties Forums Enthusiast

Dec 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    build your own PVC hoop. That way it can be the correct size for him.

5. ortegah

ortegah Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    How about laying just a board down flat and training him first to walk over the whole thing? Or perhaps back chaining in a different way and treat him every time he touches the beginning of the contact?

6. Bejilia

Bejilia Forums Regular

May 13, 2011
    Germany
    What's NRM? :hide

7. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I think the easiest definition is that it's a marker (non-reinforcement marker) to let your dog know that what they've done isn't quite right. It's not a negative marker (like NO or WRONG), but it's not one for which they would be rewarded.

I would say that the most common place to use one is at the weaves. Let's say your dog makes an attempt at a difficult entry, but misses. You might use an NRM to essentially say "Almost, but not quite". A lot of people use "oops".

Here are a few comments from Susan Garrett: http://susangarrettdogagility.com/2011/02/what-is-ideal-meaning-of-a-nrm/

8. Bejilia

Bejilia Forums Regular

May 13, 2011
    Germany
    oh, thanks - we have it too, but no name for it :smile2:

Sadly that doesn't work, because he still needs a laud for standing the down contact and that's why I think, clicking a touch on the up contact wouldn't work too.

Now I found something else... It doesn't seem to be known in Germany: What do you think about stride regulators? I think, they are for running contacts, but in this way the up contact is a running contact, isn't it?

R. m. Q.

9. Phebe*DD

Phebe*DD Forums Enthusiast

May 18, 2009
    New Mexico
  10. Bejilia

Bejilia Forums Regular

May 13, 2011
    Germany
    Thanks for the article :smile2:
    Sadly there's nothing new in it, but good explained in detail. I think, we'll try the bar method... :rolleyes2::biggrin2:

R. m. Q.