Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Leash training?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by Sheltie.Mama, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Sheltie.Mama

Sheltie.Mama Forums Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2013
    Montana
    I have been trying to leash train my new Sheltie puppy but it is very hard. She will not walk! She just fights and pulls back on the leash! How can I make it so she doesn't pull and walks with me?

2. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    It takes a bit of time for them to get used to a leash. Just trained another puppy to do it last month, and what I do is put a treat in the hand holding the leash, hold it to my belly, and grab the leash with the other hand to control the dog. The treat usually keeps them moving, and if they start pulling, stop walking until they settle down, and restart.

3. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    Dickens did the same thing, but in the end I think it made him walk on leash much better when he finally caught on, since he had no natural inclination to pull. Just get a bunch of really nice treats and use them to lead him with you while you're holding the leash. It takes much patience.

4. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    If the pup freezes or rolls around on ground or rears up, put on a lightweight leash and leave it laying on the ground and call the puppy with a treat or squeaky toy. Let her drag the leash. That is about how you train anything to not fear a lead (foal, llama, goat, puppy, etc.).

One the pup is comfortable pulling it around, then pick it up and let the pup walk around with you just following and holding the leash. Just wander around the house on leash.

Then start with a treat in the hand and having the pup walk next to you getting treats for neither falling behind or rushing ahead but rather walking next to you. Praise for even a few steps trotting along right next to you and give treats! That is the basis for loose leash walking and eventual heeling.

Don't expect a lot of a 9 week old puppy! Remember, it is a baby barely able to think beyond eat, sleep, and some playing. Trainings should be like 10 minutes.

Remember, this should ONLY be in the house or in your yard. Puppy doesn not have all shots and so cannot be walking around the neighborhood or going to other peoples' houses!

5. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    We used peanut butter on a wooden spoon. Let the puppy take a lick and then hold it up and walk giving lots of praise. Every so often put the spoon down for a lick.

6. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    That spoon is a great idea! Saves the bending over! Would be great teaching little ones beginning heeling.

7. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    We used the peanut butter too. Worked really well. Now I always have treats in my pocket when we walk and she knows it. So she usually walks nice expecting a treat.

8. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    Good point, Parvovirus is a big risk until the series is complete, and can quickly kill a pup....

9. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    When I had my puppy Shay I didn't realize how absolutely horrific the parvo risk was. My vet scared me pale and gave me a real earful. We had a friend who lost a puppy to parvo and then over a year later they got another pup who got it and survived at over $1000 in vet bills. It's very important.

You should take little ones to the vet in crate, don't let them touch the ground, and put them on a towel on the table too. I got a GOOD education on parvo.

Visitors to your house should also remove shoes and wash hands thoroughly maybe even using hand sanitizer too!

With the fact that this winter has not been wet or cold out in the Western US -- the parvo risk is high even though it is winter.

Better safe than sorry.