Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Tinsel's Journey

Discussion in 'Rescue Stories' started by Tagg, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    Back to class last night. We had a week of no training - bad me. Still, he was introduced first to 5 boxes which he did quite well. Mirkka then started hiding the hat while Tin and I waited on the other side of the ex pen with sheets on it to hide what she was doing from his view. He always went to the last place he found the hat but then would start to look for it with both his nose and his eyes. Whenever he found it he got a big reward. He seems to do better if I sit down while he searches. If I stand up he comes to a heel position and sits nicely beside me. We then changed the article to his favourite thing to steal - a wool mitt. He did quite well and I have to make sure I work a lot this week in short 3 - 5 minute bursts as next week we go outside to work. I have a few tricks up my sleeve to engage him in looking when he is out there - remember getting him to walk on lead finally by using a chicken weiner trail? He loved that game!!!
    Grooming is still a big issue. If Dave can control his head then I can do his rear but he is now in a shed and so I will have to break down and muzzle him so that I can get the rest of him. It will be the first time I have ever had to muzzle a dog that lives with me. Sure hope it doesn't spook him. We will do appropriate training with it so he is comfortable having it put on and we will continue to be teaching the process but I am soooo not happy to have to do this. He was doing so well and then the snag happened. He loves the car and tries to stand between our seats. Since he is not good about coming out of the crate in the car then I will get him a harness to help protect him and allow us to drive safely. He comes out of the house crate willingly now. Still working on the bathroom trips but he has asked a few times and gone to the door himself when he asks. It's been 4 months now that he has been with us. Last night the fellow that owns the store where the classes are held commented on how much difference he is seeing in him - nice to hear as he breeds and trains Aussies. He actually went through the parking lot after class to the place we ex them with his tail in a relaxed position, peed right away and came back to go into the car. Toenails are being done again at Meaghans so that he doesn't equate my grooming table with that job just yet. Waiting to hear from my horse veterinary dentist to get that out of the way and then will be booking Tin for his work. We are hoping to get the fencing done in the next two weeks so if you see someone sitting on a street corner selling pencils - that might be me!

2. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    It will be interesting to hear how he does after his down time.

Sca had some of his biggest flyball break throughs after we skipped a class. Not sure if it was related but I did notice it.

3. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    Yesterday was a new experience for both Tinsel and me. We took him over to Meaghan's for a brush out and the uh "special trims" and left him with her. I've always done my own grooming so even though I knew he would be well looked after by Meaghan and Jaqui I felt guilty as heck. He did well, no snapping but still couldn't have his ear trim done. Meaghan is really well versed in dealing with rescues so she won't push him beyond his thresholds but she said she was able to massage his ears more than before which is heading in the right direction. There was at least 6 dogs milling around together ranging in size from a Yorkie to a Golden/Poodle cross as she doesn't crate dogs that are waiting or dogs that are finished unless they have dog aggression problems. Tinsel loves those Shih Tzus and any nervousness he might have experienced was alleviated by the little male that was running with the pack. He must of either had them as cage mates or was bred to them because he will pull me over to visit one no matter what size it comes in, puppy to adult.
    After his Tin Bit - notice it is not Tim Bit? - we went to Pet Smart to shop for Phoebe's birthday bonanza. This was his first time in a store environment and he did really well. He was a little put off by the lady who saw him and squealed "OOH SHELTIE" but after a second to regain himself he did let her over for a fist touch. He also took a cookie from the clerk.
    His scent work is going well even though I had to cancel our class this week. My eldest son was in a Motorcross accident last week and now is broken. His left scapula and collarbone is broken and required plating and his right thumb so he is needing "mommy and daddy" attention as his only help is his 13 year old son. Tomorrow we go to watch his son, my grandson, compete in Motorcross. Hope he fairs better than his dad!
    On a positive note - my younger son and his girlfriend of 5 years announced they are getting married this summer. We never thought it would happen so I get another daughter and will officially become a Grammy to her two wonderful children - bonus! I knew there was a reason that I have become hooked on "Say Yes to the Dress".

4. mellie

mellie Forums Enthusiast

May 18, 2011
    East Coast
    It is amazing that Tinsel would take a cookie from a clerk in a store given his past...You have really connected with him and given him the freedom to be friends with people. Congrats on the engagement and a speedy recovery to your son. My DH had a fractured clavicle last year-no fun.

5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Congrats on the hooman joys and Tinsel's accomplishments!!! Tinsel says, "I'd rather watch 'Say Yes to the Cookie!'"

6. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    You're absolutely right about "Say Yes to the Cookie". The little goat has discovered grass clippings and I have to keep taking them out of his mouth! I hope Phoebe doesn't teach him her favourite thing to do in the spring - hunt for grubs, mmmmm yum. I refuse to try grabbing them out of doggie mouths. He and our grey horse, Thomas, are soooo much alike and they like to visit each other through the pasture fence. Maybe seeing his big buddy eat grass gave him ideas. They both get that "evil" glint in their eye and you know that they are working out new ways to outsmart me.

7. Sheltiemama

Sheltiemama Forums Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2012
    Indiana
    Tinsel has come SUCH a long way. It's just amazing! I'm so happy for you all!

And sorry your son is broken. That's really awful!

8. Toffee's Mom

Toffee's Mom Forums Sage

Aug 31, 2009
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    sorry to hear about your son, what a hobby to have :rolleyes2:
    hope he is having a speedy recvery. Also yayy for engagement, lots of good things to look forward to!
    Mr Tin is going to be trying to outsmart you for a long time to come lollll

Darn on the grooming thing, it must be so frustrating, Silvia Jay had to groom her feral rescue Tervuren in the van for yearrrrssssss. She found a spot where the dog was able to relax and looking forward to daily hiking trips... unfortunately that was in her van, lol. Also took her a long time to be able to do the whole dog not just parts of the dog. So you aren't alone... and to think it's been only 4 months! You will find solutions, I don't doubt it!

9. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    I really have to order that book! It sounds really interesting. Tinsel had a good night tonight working outside in longer grass. At first he was nervous about the strange place and the geese and traffic but as soon as we started the "Find" game he forgot about all the goings on and searched. Mirkka is going to come out to the house with her Aussie, Forbes, to continue to play the game here and in the conservation areas that surround us.
    One of our problems at present is getting him to go out in front of me so we laid scent pads filled with goodies. He REALLY liked that game! Of course when we got home he acted as if he never gets fed, spinning like a top and making that weird little noise of his. Good thing he can't count the number of kibbles in his bowl or he would realize that he only gets half a meal after class!

10. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    I haven't been posting for that last little while as we have been trying to get the fencing finished. Every day I tell Tinsel and Phoebe that soon they will be able to come out into the garden with me while I work and we can go back to working on new lessons since I will be able to segregate the pack.
    He's still doing well and now thinks that the best way to get a treat is to wave to me. He does it on cue and if I cue with my right hand he waves his right foot, my left gets him to change "hands" and wave with his left. He stares at me the whole time which makes it so cute that I giggle every time he does it.
    Hope all you mom's out there had a lovely mother's day. I got my first sheltie jewellery - a beautiful necklace that I will wear to the westie specialty this weekend. Maybe people will stop offering me dogs!