Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

skin issues

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Watson's Mom, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I have to write all my questions down. I did that when I took my dog to the vet for her annual exam in April. I was sure the vet tech thought I was nuts, but she said she was glad I was asking questions. I've also done this for doctors appointments for myself. Write your questions down (or type them in your phone) as you come up with them, then try to remember to ask them when you go to the vet next.

I'm glad to hear Mr. Watson is up to his normal antics. Were the cats even trying to take his duck? Missy just likes to play bitey feet with one of my cats.

2. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012
    Buddy Thomas my youngest will definitely take his duck away from him and run around with it! Petey is medium haired so Watson tries to goad him into play by pulling his hair... periodically coming away with a small mouthful.

I'm definitely going to start writing down all of my questions. I will ask about some of the things that you all have found beneficial to see if any would work in our situation. This is the first (hopefully last) time I've ever had to deal with such a large scale medical situation with him. He can be an "eater" so we get to do the fun vomiting and diarrhea routine occasionally but that's old hat compared to this.

3. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    Our vet recommended Resi-soothe for Honey when her skin gets itchy.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=25264

Once I put it on her her scratching calms down for several hours, and any dryness or irritation on her skin clears up quickly. We've had a 8 oz bottle for almost a year now. It doesn't have much of an odor, once it's absorbed it has no residue. We got it when Honey had open spots from scratching and biting to much, so theoretically it's safe to use near wounds, although I would still ask a vet first.

So glad Watson is healing up well!

4. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    Our vet's recommendation is coconut oil... more bang for my buck.. good for his dry skin and should also help his joints since he does have mild hip dysplasia (no arthritis) and apparently some minor instability in his knee... and I've already found a recent thread on coconut oil..
    . Anyone out there trolling the forums.... consider joining- so many great people and lots of information!

5. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    If you have a Trader Joe's near you, they sell organic coconut oil. That's what I use for my dog.

Did your vet say to use it orally, topically or both? I do both. My dog gets half a teaspoon once a day. And I apply it to her skin a few hours before she gets a bath.

6. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    She said orally... I don't think he gets bathed enough to bother with topically. I honestly never bathe him unless he's had diarrhea. He is as fastidious as a cat!

7. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

If you can find it, Vetricyn Wound Care is amazing! It really does work.

8. Sumac3890

Sumac3890 Forums Sage

Sep 12, 2008
    Fort Myers, Fl
    What about coconut oil? Good inside and out. Glad to hear that he is doing wo well after that ordeal. Can't wait to hear what his vet says.

9. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    Coconut oil by mouth. We started with it this morning, and he loves it! No need to melt and mix with his food! I use a small bit on some of his scars when I massage them, but since he is rarely bathed, I don't think I'll slather it on him.... he'd be like a greased pig running through my house!:lol: