Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Very Excited & But a bit sad too

Discussion in 'Agility' started by Hurtseverywhere, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Hurtseverywhere

Hurtseverywhere Forums Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2010
    London Ont
    Well I got a Suprise e-mail late Sunday From a trainer Sarah Huges I have been been trying to get in with for over a year and a half now. She only accepts 3 or 4 dogs per class maximum and takes you from beginners right throught to masters and she works almost exclusively with competition level dogs, so spots with her are very limited and sought after. She has worked with Susan Garrett, and Linda Barton of Clean run and other well known and respected trainers in both the US and Canada, and currently runs 2 border collies at AtCH trial champion levels and has a new pup just starting out, so she really knows her stuff. She saw me working Storm outside at the trail sunday in the practice area and thought I needed some help with that one , as she put it... LOL .

WE went to our first class last night with Storm there were only 2 dogs in the class Storm and another BC but aparently there is another sheltie as well in the class. Well after 30 minutes in the practice ring she had a list of things for us to work on this week, and Here I thought Storm was just about ready to trial, she thinks maybe by later summer early fall she should be ready Oh Poo, but she did say to go ahead and let her run the steeplechase at the regionals which she is actually Chairing, so that was OK but she doesn't want me to put her into any other trials till she clears it, actually she said Storms not to bad for such a young dog but we really need to work on control, weave entry, contacts, and better hand control and of course handler error, of course she says the dog's problems will be easy to fix but she's not so sure about the handler. She had an international Masters course set up for us to work on and of course I was crossing in the wrong spots and rear crossing when I should have been front crossing you name it I was doing it wrong, so it looks like we both have a lot to learn over the course of the summer.

She also might give me a hand with the slow dog too :smile2: to see if we can't bring him back to life because she has seen him run since his first trial
    and knows he can do better then he is right now.

So I am like flying high that I am getting to work with one of the best trainers in our region but a bit sad that I have to hold Storm back for a bit
    but hey I am sure it will be for the better in a long run and I am sure she know best. At least I get to do that regional steeplechase event with Storm in May .

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    wow- how cool that she saw Storm and thinks that Storm is good enough that she wants to help you:yes:
    it's gonna be awesome and you'll be so happy when Storm is out there tearing up the ring. wouldn't worry too much about not competing with her just yet- I get the feeling that you'll be very busy with homework:winkgrin:

3. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    That is very cool!

Don't get too upset about a delay to your planned entry into agility trials. You are going to be so much better prepared when you do start that you should easily move through beginner levels. Honestly, you'll probably be amazed by the amount of things you need to work on with her.

You are only talking another 3 months or so and that will fly by. A chance to train with a top trainer is worth delaying your plans for.

4. Meldor

Meldor Forums Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2011
    Ottawa
    Wow that is exciting! I'm sure you and Storm will both learn so much. I can't wait to read all about your progress with this trainer. She already seems to have given so much feedback and advice in such a short time.

Hopefully she can also give you good tips to get Cosmo's speed and love for agility back! That will be an added bonus to this already awesome chance you have.

5. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    Oh, how wonderful you have great trainer near you taking you under the wing!
    Sounds like excellent class set up with lots of feedback. Out of curiosity, is it very expensive?

6. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    What a great opportunity. I understand the sad part, having to wait. But you know in your heart it's for the best. Just keep reminding yourself how much better Storm will be because you waited and trained with this wonderful trainer. And maybe we'll even see some excitement from Cosmo too!

Let her have fun at Regionals, but I would definitely take the trainers advice and wait. Especially since she definitely seems to know what is going on.

7. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Totally agree!

That is really exciting! Don't forget to share tips here! :yes:

8. Hurtseverywhere

Hurtseverywhere Forums Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2010
    London Ont
    Yes we are very very excited about getting our new trainer, we trained weave entries out in the back yard most of the week, and at practice tonight hit the table, and I set up the same treddle angled jump course that she had so much trouble with at sarah's on monday night with weaves and a teter, she couldn't or wouldn't do the treddle section for cindy, but then the little turkey ran the entire course with me 4 times flawlessly treddles and all . Guess she not to impressed with Mom's handling
    technique.

As far cost goes she's cheaper by 30 % then my old trainer but farther to travel too about 3 times farther out but I would pay the same if she wanted it.

9. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Sounds like it will be worth the extra time and wait. How exciting to be able to train under such a renowned trainer.