Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

is my home a good shelty home?

Discussion in 'Considering a Sheltie?' started by sheltershelty, Jul 17, 2014.

1. sheltershelty

sheltershelty Forums Novice

Jul 17, 2014
    martinsburg
    another thing....

oh, and about the shelty being hard to control and impulsive.....i was also confused to learn that from other sources they say the exact opposite of what my friend says! I guess at times she can say things that are kinda silly....plus i really wouldn't consider her home to be a good one for a shelty anyway, it really doesn't have anything to do nor gets enough affection, so this could have affected her attitude

2. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    I agree with everyone else. This is not the breed for you at this time. If you really want to help your friend with her dog, I suggest you help her find a good rescue group to take him. NOT a shelter, a no-kill rescue. Good luck, I hope he finds a good forever home very soon!:smile2:

3. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    The lack of attention your friend spends is likely a large part of her description. Most herding dogs need activity or as some say a job or they get destructive or neurotic. Shelties are not an exception to that though not as extreme as a border collie. And yes they are very much people dogs. My one has to know where I am most of the time, the other less so. But he gets more upset if left by himself. Good luck either way on your decision. Folks were just be honest as they saw it as that is what you asked for (and many here are extremely protective of Shelties in general)

4. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Just remember that any pet is a lifetime promise. That dog will need a safe home for many years and if you can't 1000% promise that, don't do it.

I live on 5 acres, it is all fenced and cross fenced for livestock. However, we have a very small "dog only" area for pottying and play to be safe from the predators, livestock, loss, etc. SOmething to consider.

5. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    I agree with every ones input. Shelties need to have their families close by, they are not an outside dog, whatsoever. They go out to potty, play,but to leave a dog to the elements, alone is only going to give this dog sadness & become very sad. They need a job,if you don't work with them,they will create their own jobs...and that could mean anything from chewing furniture, rugs, walls. I say this from experience from when mine were puppies. My dining room chairs are beyond being saved, because Trapp chewed them so. He was also a rug chewer, (pulled up every rug in home eventually)and Mia loved sheetrock. Of course they are now older, and have gone way past these stages.

I have 3 here, one of which is deaf & blind. Each one of these pups have personalities all their own, and some are quite silly. They will follow you everywhere, even to the bathroom.
    My two males have solid recalls, one of which I would trust, the other not so much, even though he portrays well recall in wide open fenced areas,no fence...I may as well kiss it goodbye.
    He is very reactive to moving objects, and is a fence runner. Letting Jasper off leash, would not ever happen in his lifetime, because he is so reactive.

It would & could take weeks to acclimate both dogs, and be able to trust your other pup,givin the description you had written.

Trini Gilmore compiled the best & most informative info if your considering a sheltie. One possibly you should read, as she hit it right on about them.

I think the best thing you could do is help your friend find a very good sheltie rescue.They will make sure the dog is placed in the best home. Shelties are not for everyone.
    Just taking into consideration their traits, spinning, barking, even at silly things like opening a garbage bag,or using a blow dryer,pulling tissues from a box, will set off a sheltie if not trained well.

6. Fasb's Owner

Fasb's Owner Forums Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    If this is even a question in your (or anyone else's mind), you shouldn't get a sheltie or any other dog. There are a lot of factors you can work around or deal with given time, safety isn't one of them. Our sheltie is probably the most pampered member of the family and we're devoted to him. That said, if we decided tomorrow that he wasn't safe, we'd be finding him a better situation tomorrow.

7. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I agree with most here.

Help your friend find a good rescue. I don't think you are it. Your situation is just not suited to this breed. And I also commend you fir taking the time to find this site and ask the question honestly. Good for you!

But more than anything, I'm so frustrated with the disposable dog syndrome. It's no longer convenient, so I'll just rehome him. Grrr!