Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

my boy has a short thin coat

Discussion in 'General Health' started by beccalee9, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I agree with what Caro said. BUT, I think he's a very handsome sheltie! He's very cute!

2. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    Did you meet the parents and see what their coats were like? I agree with the others, from the pics it looks like he has a healthy coat, just shorter than you would expect - more like a border collie than a sheltie.

3. beccalee9

beccalee9 Forums Novice

Feb 18, 2014
    calgary
    Both parents were very full hairy shelties lol I appreciate all your input.makes me feel better knowing there are others like him! Many people see him and think he's a border collie because he's also quite big for a sheltie :rolleyes2:

4. Sheltie.Mama

Sheltie.Mama Forums Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2013
    Montana
    My girl, Tarra is much like that. I am afraid you're stuck with that forever! My girl, never had a full coat. She is four years old, so I doubt it will get any longer of fuller.. The only thing is that Tarra has a curly coat! It's just genetics.. Lucky for you, there won't be much brushing! Tarra is the tri-color sheltie on the right!

5. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    Dickens doesn't have a full coat either, but that's no problem. He's not a show Sheltie, just a love Sheltie. :biggrin2:

6. missjenneygirl

missjenneygirl Forums Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2009
    connecticut
    First he had his puppy coat, somewhat short and fluffy. Then he started to shed that out, and it was time to neuter him.
    After anesthesia, dogs blow whatever coat they had. So, we are very careful about when any surgery is scheduled.

So, here you are today with less coat. Your pup's coat will slowly start coming back, with little if any real undercoat (because he is neutered and lives in a house). What you will get is a longer length coat that is softer in texture then an intact dog. You will see this when he is about 3 years, but hopefully younger.

Altered dogs (male and females) have a different coat then intact dogs.

7. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I agree. Don't panic....it can take up to 3 years for a full Sheltie coat to grow in. Hormones, genetics, spay/neuter can all play a factor.

8. Sumac3890

Sumac3890 Forums Sage

Sep 12, 2008
    Fort Myers, Fl
    Connie, How does living in a house effect a coat? That is interesting and would like to know more.

9. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Temperature and lack of humidity (dry air) are the biggest factors in a house.

When I showed Persian cats, there were people (not me) who kept their cats in a cool room (meaning like 60 degrees) with a higher than average humidity to grow the massive coats for the show ring. Even in hotel rooms for show they brought a humidifier, kept the AC down, and wore coats (themselves).