Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Shyness is for life

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Caro, May 9, 2014.

1. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    As many of you know, when Tully was younger she was timid sheltie dogs, and became an extremely fearful dog after an attack - wouldn't even leave the house. I did so much work to build her confidence, went through all the books and training, but I think it was ball chasing and flyball that were what did it. She still had her moments, but I could go out in public without being too disgraced. And anyone who has a reactive sheltie will know how exhausting that can be.

So I'm pretty upset she's gone back to her fearful ways. As soon as she sees a dog bigger than her (and most are) she goes into meltdown. Not sure if she's worried about being knocked because she's still sore from the hip, or a couple of months of not being around other dogs has un-desensitised her (not a word but I can't think of the right one). She was getting reactive over the months before the surgery, but now she is really bad. Twice this week I've tried to sit at our regular cafes and had to leave because Tully had a meltdown because a bigger dog went past.

I'm really disappointed she's taken such a huge step backward, and a bit surprised, I knew shyness is never completely cured but I didn't think it would be so easy to go backward. It makes me tired just thinking about all the work to get her back to how she was. I really hope it doesn't take as long - no ball chasing or flyball to help this time.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  2. Hannah

Hannah Forums Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2014
    NSW, Australia
    I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. It must be tough. So infuriating that it all stemmed from a dog attack... poor girl (and poor you). Hopefully its quicker and easier this time going forwards from here.

3. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    She's been through such a lot - maybe things will improve along with hip. Do you live in an urban area where she has to be out with lots of people for her walks? Maybe try going out very early or very late when there isn't as likely to be so much about to worry her?

4. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Likely she is just doing the back off I am sore thing some even if she is not still sore out of habit.

5. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Caro, can you describe what she does during a meltdown? I know what it looks like when I child does it, but I'm not sure what a dog does when they're having a meltdown.

I'm sorry you're going through this. I thought Missy was going to be a shy dog based on how she acted at the breeder. I think a combination of puppy classes and her energy (had to get it out somehow!) made her a more confident dog. I'm not sure what I would have done if she was a timid dog. It's obvious you've put a lot of time and energy into building Tully's confidence. I'm sorry you're having such a hard time with her regressing. I'm sending my good thoughts to you and Tully!

6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Jess - She does that alarm bark - a really short repetitive continuous bark. She goes rigid and will run towards the dog if she can (she choked herself today doing that). Worst is she won't listen, doesn't hear me at all, just keeps barking and barking and barking. If I try to go near her she moves away from me and toward the dog. Unfortunately she usually sees the dog long before I do, but there's probably 2 secs between her going rigid and the barking.

Eva - funny you should say that. There's probably more dogs out during the day atm - we're in winter and the days are short but sunny. But even then there's only a couple we come across on each walk.

I really do hope it's her being sore. Don't want it to become a habit tho.

7. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    It sounds so much like Beckon's fear aggression behavior. It may subside with time as Tully heals...but maybe not. She's been through a lot.

8. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    I know this is difficult advice but try and keep her away from this for now until she is feeling more herself. The more practice she gets of this behaviour, the more it will become her go to behaviour. I suspect she is reacting to her fear and her discomfort - can't get away as fast so try and ward off the other animal. Plenty of time once she is healed to go to work on desensitizing her again. Good luck - I'll be thinking of you both.