Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Energy Supplements

Discussion in 'Treats & Supplements' started by Jess041, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    I always tell my human patients, the best hydration is from water.

I don't think it will do any harm, however.

2. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    At this juncture in my life I wouldn't give a dog any sugars. If they're anything like people they should have glycogen stores that they can draw on when energy is needed. Just my opinion!

3. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    The website says "NO! sucrose, fructose, trans fat, corn syrup or by products." Were there other sugars listed that I missed? If it doesn't outright say "sugar", I have a hard time spotting it.

4. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    You're right; someone else mentioned sugars and I just assumed that's what we were discussing. It appears that all the carbs come from starches. Of course, starches are broken down by amylases in the digestive tract into sugars, so in effect it's much the same thing.

I'm really impressed, though, by the fact that there are no trans fats. I always avoid sports drinks that have them, because we all know how bad they are! And they're just as bad for doggies as they are for us people!

5. Greenepony

Greenepony Forums Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2012
    First ingredient, GoDog Performance Factors™ Glucose polymers. Glucose -also known as dextrose- is a basic and very common form of sugar.
    Glucose polymer means starch, remember starches are broken down into sugars. In the US, glucose polymers are usually (not always) corn starch.

6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Glucose polymers and glycerol are mentioned. They are simple sugars, in their most natural and easily used form so not a bad thing.

It's interesting they are pushing it for agility and show people. I just don't see a dog expending enough energy to need a supplement in those activities. I can see some benefit in an activity where they are expending high levels of energy and potentially fluid (like flyball or endurance trials) as a way to give them additional energy without feeding. I know they're pretty popular in greyhound racing.

Just a thought - is a supplement that's designed for low level activities like showing, going to provide what you'd want for a high level activity.

7. Jess041

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Thanks.. I figured I wasn't catching something. Of course, biology, nutrition, chemistry... not my field lol. I do computer stuff.

My order came in.. might try some at practice on Sat to make sure it won't upset her stomach. We practice outside and it's July in Texas.. should be really hot!

8. Jess041

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Maybe. I already give her Vibrant Pets Canine Athlete.