Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

What can I use to remove TearMender???

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by CluneBrae, Apr 15, 2012.

1. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I agree here! I killed my chances to properly glue Bacca's ears by being too aggressive trying to remove the old glue.

It got to the point I could not longer glue because there wasn't anything left to glue because I made so many mistakes at first.

2. Lysette85

Lysette85 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2011
    Ithaca, NY
    I have Detachol, Unisolve, and Zoeze at my house haha. I have to say that I liked Zoeze the most. Unisolve is my second choice. Goo gone is a toxic chemical...I couldn't believe what it did to my poor dog's ears. He ended up losing all the fur on his ears for about 3 months! The skin peeled and peeled...not a safe product for animals at all!

Please take the time to call around for Unisolve or Zoeze...none of my neighborhood pharmacies had Unisolve, but my local medical supply store did. Zoeze I bought off eBay...worth the wait! Got it in just 3 days.

3. theory

theory Forums Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    nyc
    Oops, correction, I have a bottle of De-solv-it, not goo gone. Going to look into Unisolve!

4. CluneBrae

CluneBrae Forums Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2011
    Canada
    Hubby took her to the breeders and she once again has lovely tidy little ears :). Thanks for the suggestions! 1000+Stain Remover is what our breeder uses. Sounds like what I would be using to clean pee accidents from the carpet :rolleyes2: but apparently took it out quickly with no irritation to her skin at all.

5. CluneBrae

Dec 30, 2011
    Canada
    Uggghhh...ordered a bottle of Tear Mender and also UniSolve from an on-line pet show supply store (also just had to have a very funky bamboo handled brush...but that is an aside).
    I tried to get the old glue off and I feel like I am torturing my poor puppy! She is so good and I don't know if it is just my removal technique but boy does that stuff stick.
    Is it important to remove the old glue completely? She looks like a kid with chewing gum stuck in her hair right now!
    Hubby is home from out of town tonight and I hoped to have her looking lovely for his return. He got the tipping lesson from the breeder so I am hoping he has better luck. I am ready to just forget about it at this point!

6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I have to admit that Cranberry mostly did not have the old glue removed the seven months that we glued his ears:winkgrin:
    we never bought any glue remover either.......
    they turned out ok: http://cranberrycallie.shutterfly.com/840

7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    You can get the glue removers (and tapes etc.) here.
    http://wicketsbymel.com/GluesRemovers.html

We use Zoeze. Put it on a cotton square pad and gently rub up, then follow with a fine-tooth greyhound comb to get the residue out of the hair. It takes a while, but the glue does come off. Then wash the ear with warm soap and water and let dry, or rub the ear out with some alcohol on a cotton swab and let dry.

8. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

When I finally found the Detachol, it removed all the glue and painlessly.

It was only unfortunate that I found the Detachol too late to be able to reglue. By that time I had resorted to cutting out the hair and there was nothing left.

Mea Culpa, by breeder told me to get Detachol but I waiting too long and then couldn't find it. I had to order it online. By the time it arrived it was too late.

9. CluneBrae

Dec 30, 2011
    Canada
    All I can say is thank goodness my hubby is home! Two minutes with "Dad" and the ears look just great. Sigh......