Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Limping

Discussion in 'General Health' started by DPSheltie, May 30, 2011.

1. DPSheltie

DPSheltie Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2010
    Bristol, CT
    So if Riley was a horse I would describe this as him being off in his left fore/front and is head bobbing lame.... For everyone else, Riley is limping on his front left leg/paw and is limping enough that he is bobbing his head ever step, but is not three legged lame.

I have no clue what he did. We did go to the dog park Fri-Sun, complete with swimming (kinda) and lots of playing/ball chasing, so it is possible he did it there, although it did not present until this (Mon) morning.

He also was in a reactive fit mode Sunday night and ran into the concrete front porch while barking/lunging at a person bringing out their trash (very dark at the time).

OR he could be showing symptoms of Lyme,since he was bit by 3 ticks about 6 weeks ago.

He's only very noticeably lame when walking on pavement and it seemed subtler this morning, and then worse later but it has not gotten any worse since around noon today. He's already on for a vet apt this Wednesday for his annual, so I think it may be ok to wait until then since it's one day.

I dont know what to think... Lyme? A sprain? Bruise? I dont believe it is a break since there is not any range of motion issues or obvious pain when I manipulate his leg/joints. Any ideas or suggestions?

2. DPSheltie

Feb 25, 2010
    Bristol, CT
    Oh, he is also pretty quiet today. But he did 'party hard' for three days and it was really hot and humid today.

3. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Could be any of the things you mentioned-sprain, bruise, syptom of lyme(given the tick hx). They are usually more lame the lower the injury. But it could still be a foot injury that he doesn't mind until he loads his full weight onto his toes. Check all around his toes and make sure he doesn't have anything stuck or any injuries to the pads. or nails

Good the you have your appointment for Weds. sounds like a good exam is in order. Keep him quiet until then on running or jumping just take him out on a leash to go bathroom. Hope it isn't something serious.

4. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    we have been dealing with soft tissue injury Che got for several weeks now, although I know exactly what had happened to my monkey as I have seen him sliding in the mud while making u turn. With your pup I would question lyme first, given the history.
    I am finding out it is a looong story to heal. Massage therapy helped Che a great deal. We have few excellent places for PT but they are pricey, since Che's injury is getting better I think I just stick with massage and will try to get him to chiro.

5. DPSheltie

Feb 25, 2010
    Bristol, CT
    Thank you Dr Shelli!

We did check out his paws thoroughly yesterday and found nothing. I was hoping for a small cut or something. It's good to know that the degree of lameness corrolates with location similarly to horses (hoof abscess=very lame, tendon issues-not as three legged lame) I only wish I had as much experience with dog injuries as I do with horses!!

I was originally planning on having the Lyme test done just in case before this, but now it's gonna be a necessity. I'm almost hoping it is Lyme instead of a long term soft tissue injury... Can I cold hose my dog???:biggrin2:

Now how to keep the little bugger quiet and calm......

He's still off today, but thankfully not as bad so far...