Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

5 fingers in the back legs

Discussion in 'The Sheltie Standard' started by alonsoe, Jul 30, 2014.

1. alonsoe

alonsoe Forums Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2014
    Spain
    Hello, I have two shelties and one of them have a 5th finger in his back legs:eek2:
    I wonder if anybody knows if it is ok for the standard or not. I want to show this dog in a ring in the future.....

Could someone give me some information about it?

Thanks in advance!

2. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    I don't show shelties so haven't got immediate access to the standard. Look it up and see what it says about rear dew claws. That is what that "5th finger" is.

3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    might be different in Spain but the AKC standard -no rear dewclaws

4. Jean

Jean Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2015
    PNW, Washington state
    Dew claws can be removed for that "cleaner look" or perhaps because one got caught on brush (or in the case of one of my previous Samoyeds--the carpet). Some breeders routinely remove dew claws with a nail clipper on pups born with dew claws--some breeders don't have to--some veterinaries do surgery to remove dew claws on older pups with dew claws and on some breeds it doesn't matter (even concerning showing in different countries.)

5. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Here in Denmark it is absolutely forbidden to remove the claw, unless the dog is hurt.

6. SheltieLuver

SheltieLuver Forums Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2008
    South Carolina
    Rear dew claws are a fault in the show ring. They can have a front dew claw though.

7. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    Sparrow has both rear dew claws, as she is a working cocker she will never enter a show ring, but I have been advised to have them removed because they may snag when she does agility.

There is a lot of debate as to why some dogs are born with rear dew claws, no one seems to quite know their purpose. They are generally unattached to the main structure of the foot except by tissue, so are not of particular use. Though some argue if the rear dew claws are in a position where they touch the ground the dog may use them for balance and removing them could cause them to adjust their running style.

I have read they are a vestigial toe from the days of early dogs or wolves who needed to climb terrain regularly.

8. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Rear declaws are dominate genetically. If breeders want to get rid of them but don't want to remove them then don't breed a dog born with rear dewclaws. It's that simple once it is gone it is gone unless reintroduced. On the flip side if you double up the gene you get doubles

Of course, there are more import things to breed for then lack of rear claws. So to just breed for that would be silly. But I am lucky Grizz is a non carrier and I think alot of AOACs are too at least in the lines we work with because I have not removed a rear dewclaw in forever. We don't remove fronts per breeder option.

9. alonsoe

alonsoe Forums Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2014
    Spain
    That's what I have seen in internet, and also that are an evidence of the remains of the race and the dogs that have rear claws are more "pure" or ancestral than others. They are admited in the ring for some breeds (not for all, I don't know why). Here in Spain are allowed for shelties in the ring, so it doesn't worry me nowadays.

My breeder have a very good reputation in Europe so I don't doubt it's correct, and in fact she wants to breed with my male (I have it in a contract).

Thanks to all for your suggestions and opinions, although it has been so long since I opened the thread :eek:

10. Matsuki

Matsuki Forums Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2015
    Tokyo, Japan
    How much of a fault is a short rear "toe?" After seeing Sansa, one of my friends picked up a really beautiful tri from the same breeder. I was checking him out and while he has front dew claws, one rear foot has the standard 4, the other has the same 4 but the inner toe is slightly set back. Thought it was a dew claw at first but with only 3 in the normal positions and it seems to have bone/muscle so just seems out of position or short?

Is this something that would likely pass to puppies if he is bred? (She asked me but I have no clue )