Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

still digging holes in yard and garden

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by 3dmodeler, Jan 30, 2014.

1. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    It sounds like you need to puppy proof your house. Paper towels shouldn't be in the reach of her. Basically anything you don't want ripped up, put up. My 10 yr old sheltie still will rip up tissues if she can reach them. My 13 month ate all my dress shoes... so needless to say, if you don't puppy proof, they will show you what needs put up.

I do have an interactive toy my dogs love. I actually just recently bought it. http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=17664926&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No is the one I have. They have to flip the doors open with their nose. I first started out with one treat and I would flip the door, then one treat and let them flip it then I added more. I actually fed my two out of it for dinner this whole past week and they both loved it. You can make it easy or hard by it spinning too.

2. 3dmodeler

3dmodeler Forums Regular

Feb 14, 2011
    canada
    She still makes a hole and wife #$$% about it..its raining do I carE?

Sorry, if she is having fun in our 10x10 back yard then let her. I cannot watch her the entire time. Thanks for CHEWSS!!! ugg, at least she is busy gnawing on one, rather then playing in the back yard.

BTW, I thinking of making a large pan that has water in it and allows the mud to come off the paws if she steps in it before coming inside. Other idea, weld up a 2-3 inch tray with a flat, open mesh opening bolted to the top and motion detectors that spray a 1/2 inch stream of water under the holes to force the mudd off, before she comes in. Wonder if there would be a market for something like what I could build.

I seen something similar to the exit from a construction site where water jets were running stripping mud and dirt off the tracks of tires before the dump trucks enter the road.

3. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    It takes all of a few minutes to wipe off the dog's feet, time for a little contact and some affection. It seems you keep wanting to invent stuff to keep the dog occupied or decrease how much you have to do for it. Not sure why you have a dog at all. Honestly I feel sorry for your pup. There seems to be some resentment towards your wife that is related to the dog as well - I hope you guys can work it out, so this puppy isn't neglected because of it :cry:.

4. MissieLynn

MissieLynn Forums Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2013
    Oklahoma
    I totally agree with you.

Baby wipes can come in handy to wipe off little paws, as can a wet towel. If they're feet are horribly muddy, simply filling the bathtub a few inches can be all it takes. It's really not hard.

Also, another thought. You have provided her with chews and a yard to play in, but what about play time? Nothing makes a puppy happier than having someone play with them. If you spend quality time with her (showing her love and affection the entire time, not resentment) then she'll be a much happier puppy and won't have to resort to digging out of loneliness and boredom. :cry:

5. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Sopping wet tracks through the house are NOT what you are going to want. You will just punish your dog for that too!

Dip each paw in a shallow bucket of water (NOT BURNING HOT OR FREEZING COLD!) and rub for a second with a towel (NOT USING AN AIR COMPRESSOR OR OTHER TORTURE DEVICE).

Please treat your dog (and your wife) with respect and kindness and not as if they are put on the Earth as a pain to you! Whether your posts are real or ficton, they are NOT amusing. Animal abuse, neglect, and resentment are NOT funny and you really should not post such things in public.

Sorry everyone else -- I won't be PC to someone who says they pressure wash the dog's feet -- it's just NOT OK.