Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Let's go (again) from Atlanta suburbs

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by susantiffany, Apr 14, 2012.

1. susantiffany

susantiffany Forums Novice

Apr 14, 2012
    Lilburn, GA
    Hi Everyone,

I just found your website today. I spent several hours on it - afraid it could become addictive. :smile2:

We are on our third Sheltie now, after losing the 2nd love of our lives, Niko, last November. He was only 11 1/2. Our first one, Ringo, we had for nearly 17 years. This 6-month-old puppy comes from Canada, so his name is Kunuk (distortion of what Canadians call themselves, Canucks). He is adorable, but we're still missing the deep bond we had with Niko. In time I hope this will come.

Kunuk came from recommended breeders in the Sheltie Club of GA, with champions in his pedigree. Right now he is obsessed with light patterns and shadows. He's in his second obedience class, which we and he both need, as he is a "strong-willed dog". Our other dogs were easier!

We took him to a herding event last weekend, and all his instincts came into play! What fun we all had. I didn't know that you could take your dog for herding lessons. Too far for us to go, but we will probably do agility. Looking forward to reading about all the experiences you've had and advice you have to give. We need it!
    Susan

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Welcome:smile2:

yes- this is an addictive site- many hours spent here:wink2:

we do love pix too:yes:

3. rose

rose Forums Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2011
    washington
    hiya and welcome
    yep, this is a addictive site, but it's all good....learn new things, get ideas and pretty sheltie pics, who could ask for more ?

4. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Welcome to the Sheltie Nation! It is great to have you join us.

I have to agree....this is definitely an addictive site, but so much fun. And I find that everything I learn and read benefits my girls in a positive way. Let's refer to this site as a "healthy addiction" :lol:

5. dmeyer123

dmeyer123 Forums Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2011
    Eastvale, CA
    Welcome to the forum....you're goimg to love it here!

6. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Welcome -- we're so glad you're here!

Addictive? Sheltie Nation? Say it isn't so!!! :lol:

7. Jaynie

Jaynie Forums Enthusiast

Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas, Georgia
    Welcome, Susan! I am so happy to have another Georgian on the forums!

8. lovemyshelties

lovemyshelties Forums Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2011
    Crofton, MD
    Welcome to SN!

We, too, have a strong willed and very smart Sheltie named Zoey (one of three). She's a pushy broad...lol, so obedience and agility is a must for her. She also suffers from separation anxiety that she began to exhibit when she was about a year and a half old (she is 2.5 years old now).

Losing a special heart Sheltie is difficult. We had one named Sassafras that we lost at age 12 to heart disease. She's been gone since Sep. 2010, but I still miss her so - always will.

Zoey came from a breeder in WVa (big mistake), and we adopted Murphy and Bentley from local Sheltie rescues. As you know (or will shortly find out), each Sheltie has a distinct personality, so it's best not to compare, but to live in the present and enjoy your new pup. You'll be surprised on how fast you'll bond with each other.

Good luck!

9. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Well howdy neighbor! So glad you found Sheltie Nation! I sat next to you and your adorable puppy during the meeting last weekend. What an adorable pup!

They aren't the same, the personalities within the breed are as varied as the individual dog. I'm sorry that you are still mourning your heart dog, it is very hard to let go and let time heal that ache.

Meanwhile, until the grief goes, I hope you are getting lots of laughing practice at your Mr. Busy Puppy! What a smart and plucky boy, I think he's going to be a terrific boy.

We are thinking of trying to get a trieball team going, it is cheaper than sheep and is sort of like dogs playing soccer... are you interested?

Joan D.
    Norcross

ps - I put up lots of the herding pictures in the Fuzzy Butt photo section of last weekend. Do I have permission to post one of your puppy?

10. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta