Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How High Should a Fence Be?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by NHAnimator, Apr 17, 2012.

1. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I tend to agree with you. I know my dogs can easily jump 3 feet or more if they really want to. But I have one section of my fence which is only 2.5 feet high. So far, neither dog has shown any inclination, though they have had enough motivation to try.

That being said, most of my fencing is about 4.5 feet. (iron, not wood)

2. MissSuzie

MissSuzie Forums Enthusiast

Nov 19, 2008
    Beautiful SW Florida
    I have a four foot chain link fence. I've never had an issue with one of the dogs trying to jump it. I do wish it was wood so that they couldn't see everything going on outside our yard though.

3. mlamont

mlamont Forums Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2010
    PA
    Barb,

This is probably the best point to be made in this discussion, glad you brought this up. A fence only preforms, or is only functional to it ‘lowest point’, given the ground terrain or jumping platforms. Glad you boys are homebodies. I love the iron fencing… beautiful, wish I could install this around my backyard. The neighbors 105 pound (16 month old) lab does everything he can to get over to my shelties… to play I hope! I don’t know how much more my wood fence can take with him crashing into it every night.

4. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I think this is a VERY important point. I think that my dogs, if motivated (separation anxiety, boredom, external stimuli), could get through the majority of fences whether by climbing it, digging under it, eating through it, etc...

But, they are never presented with the opportunity. When they are outside they are kept busy. They are either playing with me, relaxing with me, or going to the bathroom. If they are doing none of those things, they're inside.

5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    great pic:smile2:

we have 6' privacy on three sides and 4' chain link between my neighbor's yard and mine.
    Happy the escape artist after finding a hole where there was significant rotting, then made his own holes.

The foster Catahoula climbed the chain link into the neighbor's yard- but came back when I called him.... which is when I saw the climbing:rolleyes2:

The shelties have not attempted to leave the yard- good dogs:yes:

6. rosesandlace

rosesandlace Forums Enthusiast

We have 4 ft fencing - wood on two sides and wire on two sides ... plus we have a gated entry to the patio for half the year. Like you ... we are always outside with our Shelties when they are out. You just never know what strays can come into your yard and cause a comotion ... as well as the possibility of rabid raccoons or squirrels hopping over the fences (there is an overpopulation of the former here and they have been known to be rabid).

Even our breeder is nervous of leaving puppies out in a small fenced area unattended as she witnessed a crow attack a kitten in her neighbours yard a few years ago.

7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I agree. Mine are never left out alone either, except in the fenced pen for a few minutes while I vacuum. (Which the tumbleweeds in my house will tell you is not much :rolleyes2: )

8. NHAnimator

NHAnimator Forums Regular

Mar 20, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Many thanks to all of the repliers. I will take it all into account as we move forward.

NHAnimator