Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Do you tug?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by SheltieChe, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Fergus

Fergus Forums Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Oh, I would pay big bucks to be a spectator at *that* agility trial!!! :lol::biggrin2:

2. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Both my boys used to love to tug when they were 1-2 years old. Neither one is interested anymore. They used to play tug with each other, which was super-cute to watch.

But Bacca is just not interested in toys at all anymore. Indy doesn't actually play with his toys, he just hauls them out of the basket one by one.

I'm desperately trying to find something to challenge him, but he just goes about life, Eeeyore, dum-de-dum-de-dum! La, la, la!

I fear that I've raised a couple of super lazy Shelties. I know better, so now I must DO better! :eek:

3. Connie

Connie Forums Regular

May 30, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I do tug, here's a good explanation of why I tug with my dogs:
    http://www.leecharleskelley.com/servicesphilosophy/dontplaytugofwar.html

Shiri, my princess Sheltie (singleton puppy, very standoffish dog all her life) would never, ever tug with me. I spent endless amounts of time trying to tempt her to tug, trick her into tugging, and nothing. She would give me this incredibly disdainful look like 'omg, I can't believe I even know you' -- the kind of look I gave my parents when I was a teenager, you know?

Then I adopted the Border Collie, and he is a tug monster, which is great. One morning shortly after he arrived, I came out of the shower to hear him growling and another *unfamiliar* growl answering him; went into the dining room to see the BC and SHIRI PLAYING TUG! Even though they were using one of my socks, I was so happy to see the princess playing tug that I didn't even care.

She still won't tug with me. No idea what's up with that.

4. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    My dog Bentley (curiously, also a singleton) doesn't really tug either. He does tug on rare occasions with Lexi (my pup who loves to tug) and I also don't intervene even if they have a sock!

I can really push him to tug by getting him really riled up, but it's not quite the emotion that I'm going for so I've sort of given up on that.

5. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    obviously not now since Bentley is on house arrest but why would not you push mister B? Riled up as in arousal?

6. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    It's hard to explain--he just doesn't seem to "get it" or enjoy it. It's almost like he's lost his focus completely, as opposed to Lexi who is tugging and engaged. Almost like he doesn't know what he's doing--he's just doing it.