Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

20" jumper...

Discussion in 'Agility' started by melbell, Nov 8, 2013.

1. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    What was he measured at when he was jumping 20"?

2. seashel

seashel Forums Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2010
    Kent, UK
    Our KC jump heights are a bit different - there are only 3 and for 'large' dogs the height is 2 ft.6" (25.6" if my maths is correct?) I have never seen a sheltie competing at this height, which they would have to if over 17". I guess people either decide not to do agility or opt for one of the other organisations which allow for more flexibility. It does seem rather unfair to me that a dog that is just into 'Large' should have to clear more than 8" over his height whereas a dog just into 'Medium' (over 13 3/4") only has to clear 17.7" which is jumping about 4" over his own height. I would have competed with Epic in Medium if he had just measured out of small but I wouldn't want to compete in Large with a sheltie just over Medium height.

Preferred sounds like a good idea - could you perhaps start in this class and move up if it looks like it won't cause a problem?

3. Toffee's Mom

Toffee's Mom Forums Sage

Aug 31, 2009
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    For Agility Association of Canada, AAC, which most of us compete in here a dog 16 and over has to jump 22 inches!!
    Dogs 21 inches tall have to jump 26 in standard...

Although Spruce, who is 16.75 is better put together than most Shelties I have seen around here, there is absolutely NO way I will jump him at 22. Never mind 16.25 inch Mr Toffee lol, who is definitely not put together like Spruce, he'd never come close to be able to jump that high safely!
    I had put Toffee in specials from the start and even 16 inches for a 16 inch dog is tall enough I found! He's loving being a veteran now, and has to jump 10 inches which is going to ensure we will be doing agility for many more years :D

4. ortegah

ortegah Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    His official measurement was 18 3/8"

5. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    Oh wow. 22 inches would be insane for a sheltie :no: