Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Introducing OTCh Staymat Magnificent Journey UDX, OM2

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by fuzbuttsheltie, Nov 15, 2013.

1. HopeShelties

HopeShelties Forums Enthusiast

Dec 2, 2008
    Kentucky
  2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    well Dixie now has 2 Qs (out of 2) in Beg Nov and Cran has 0 (out of 3). his sit stay which was the only issue in Sep was beautiful but his sit for exam was more of a stand for exam...... maybe he wants to skip ahead:winkgrin:

they each have a Q in Rally Adv A so we'll keep working on that one...

3. fuzbuttsheltie

fuzbuttsheltie Forums Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2011
    Maryland
    Callismom -- there are some dogs who just don't like the exercises of Beginner Novice. I have one, he thinks they are absolutely dreadful. He'd rather I sat in the middle of the ring while he circled it and then of course he wants to do the full length recall. He has his CD title but I'm not ready to take him into the Pre classes. So, perhaps Cran wants to give Novice a try? There are some dogs who don't feel comfortable sitting when a judge approaches. I know my boys won't sit when someone approaches but that's probably because they are trained in the stand for exam exercise.

Congrats to Dixie for her second leg out of two tries! That's absolutely wonderful! Do you have a 3rd trial selected and is it soon?

Nice, that they each have a leg in Rally Advance!!

Dani
    OTCh Staymat Magnificent Journey UDX, OM2
    Armitage Dazzling Spun Gold CDX, RAE
    Double Dare Derrick CD, RAE
    Blackmyst Poker Face CD, RN

4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    someone at the trial said that they wouldn't do Beg Nov because of the sit stay.
    We've never done any real obedience and thought that Beg Nov would be a good place to start. the trial last fall was their first attempt at anything like that. those two figure 8's were the first that they did around actual people but they weren't really bothered by that. I had concerns that they wouldn't sit without me saying something but they did all right- not perfect heel position sits but pretty good for us not really working that.
    so while Dixie pretty much went with the flow, Cran thought that sitting was boring and he should heel with me for half the ring. he did a beautiful stand that time too. so since Dixie got a Q last year, I entered Cran in a trial in Sep and he sat for the judge but stood without moving from his spot during the stay. so we've practiced the sit stay a lot so he did that really well this time but I wasn't expecting him to move when the judge came over.....
    so we'll practice that some more.....
    we don't have any other ob/rally trials lined up- two agility trials the next two weekends...
    I think that there are some coming up early in the year in Pensacola- will have to check into the details....

any tips for preventing barking in the ring? we did lose points there.....:ick

5. fuzbuttsheltie

fuzbuttsheltie Forums Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2011
    Maryland
    The reasons why some folks won't perform certain exercises are plentiful but I believe the most common are that they don't extend their training beyond the actual exercise, they pattern train and/or they barely train at all. A well trained dog understands commands and follows them even out of context of the regular exercise. Tell a dog to sit, it should sit; tell a dog to stand, it should stand. If they don't then there's a hole in the dog's training. If folks train their dogs to perform a sit for exam and a stand for exam, then what's their next excuse? I love the BN class especially for a new handler who may be stressing or nervous, it gives the dog a chance to learn who that person has become in the ring and it gives the dog ring trial experience before heading into Novice with the group sit/down.

Many newbie dogs will stand when trialing due to stress or distraction. You need to practice heeling into a sit with a person walking and talking in the ring and folks walking and talking outside the rings, perhaps walking their dogs.

Do you allow barking in the agility ring? If so, then it's probably carry over into the Obedience and Rally rings.

Dani
    OTCh Staymat Magnificent Journey UDX, OM2
    Armitage Dazzling Spun Gold CDX, RAE
    Double Dare Derrick CD, RAE
    Blackmyst Poker Face CD, RN

6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I've been thinking about the barking- in agility, it's mostly from frustration- like when I don't tell him soon enough or clearly enough what's next.
    I don't remember barking so much in rally but I do talk to him when we are doing rally. One judge even told me to talk to him more:winkgrin:

so I'm thinking since I'm not supposed to talk except for the one command in BN/obedience that he is wondering what's up with that and is feeling some frustration that I'm not talking to him or giving him any feedback. not really too sure what to do about that.........